IU releases first depth chart

spIUFB

CHICAGO - As the stir of summer college football reaches its peak, IU released its first 2016 depth chart at Big Ten Media Day on Tuesday morning.

At quarterback, the competition for the starting spot continues.  IU coach Kevin Wilson has three quarterbacks listed as the starter.  Those three quarterbacks are junior Danny Cameron, junior Zander Diamont and junior college transfer Richard Lagow.

“He’s had 15 practices with us, which I don’t think is enough to name him as our starter,” Wilson said about Lagow.

Sophomore Brandon Knight, who played in 11 games last season at tackle and at tight end, will take former All-American Hoosier Jason Spriggs’ place at left tackle, while Devine Redding, who rushed for 1,012 yards in 2015, will replace former Hoosier Jordan Howard.

Junior Camion Patrick, who transferred to IU last season but did not play, has made the transition from wide receiver to running back. Wilson said Patrick could be ready to play by Big Ten play this season.

Three-star safety recruit Brandon Drayton was unable to join the program as a result of an admissions issue, Wilson said after his opening statements Tuesday.

With graduated tight ends Anthony Corsaro and Michael Cooper no longer on the depth chart, junior tight end Danny Friend is listed as the new starter. Wilson praised Friend’s blocking ability on the end before the 265-pound tight end fell to a knee injury.

In defensive coordinator Tom Allen’s 4-2-5 defense, a new position named the husky appeared on the depth chart with junior Ben Bach as the starter and junior Jayme Thompson and sophomore Zeke Walker in the mix as well.

Sophomore Leon Thornton, who saw time at wide receiver and defensive back in 2015, will stay at the defensive back position.

Sophomore Donavan Hale will also remain at quarterback after playing the majority of 2015 at wide receiver.