Former IU painter starts a jewelry business

Angela Caldwell studied painting while earning her undergraduate degree at IU and has since moved to Michigan and established herself as an artist.

Now, Caldwell is back at IU as a BFA candidate in the metals and jewelry design program.

Having initially devoted her time, energy and money to painting, Caldwell explained she had difficulty keeping the same momentum after graduation.

“It was very hard to make a living at it or even keep at it as I didn’t have a proper studio in my house,” she said. “I had had a decorative painting business with a friend and it became too physically demanding and harder to get work.”

Caldwell said she had been interested in jewelry design while at IU but could not afford materials for both metals classes and painting on top of her out-of-state tuition.

Years later, after moving to Michigan and raising her son, Caldwell got another opportunity to get back into jewelry.

She was helping a friend with her hand-painted clothing store, when a woman Caldwell knew opened a bead store in the back of her friend’s business.

“I quickly became enamored with looking at her collection and began making jewelry again, learning more techniques and designing my own jewelry,” she said.

After the bead store moved, Caldwell rented out her own space and started selling hand-painted items, collectibles and a few of her finished jewelry pieces. She quickly realized she was most passionate about the jewelry side of her business.

After closing her store, Caldwell participated in jewelry workshops, learning new techniques and practicing her craft. She gradually began selling her pieces to family and friends.

“I started pretty slow and organically,” Caldwell said of her business. “People commented on the jewelry I made for myself, sometimes asking me to make a similar piece for them. As I grew more confident, I started having small sales in my house.”

Caldwell then agreed to manage a new studio building in exchange for her own space and free rent.

“Once I had an ‘official’ studio, I began to take it more seriously, look for representation in stores and galleries, teach workshops at area art centers and grow my business,” she said.

Caldwell explained the hardest part of starting her own business was the absence of the support network available at most 9-to-5 jobs.

“I am responsible for every aspect of the business from bookkeeping, which I hate, to purchasing sales receipts, all the material to make my work and all my tools,” she said.

Now that she is out of Michigan and back in school, Caldwell said maintaining her business has become more difficult.

“It’s been a struggle to keep my focus on the business, grow it here, and continue my client relationships back in Michigan while also thinking more creatively in my school studio,” she said.

Currently, Caldwell sells her jewelry here in Bloomington through Relish, her studio in the IFell Building and other Indiana galleries. She said she continuously looks for new representation, doing everything from making calls and sending photographs to visiting local galleries while on vacation.

As for young artists looking to start their own business, Caldwell said it involves juggling a lot of things at once.

“I’d also say to look to their community for outlets in which to gain experience and to hear comments about their work,” she said. “Listen, ask questions and seek help when needed, and finding a mentor can be very beneficial.”