Young artist from Bloomington named finalist for Ferdinand Folk Festival

Anna Wrasse, 13, of Bloomington was recently named a finalist in the second annual Ferdinand Folk Festival Singer-Songwriter Contest.

Four “18-and-under” and nine “over-18” artists will compete for a chance to perform on the main stage at the Ferdinand Folk Festival in September.

The 13 finalists will showcase their talents in the Astra Theater in Jasper, Indiana next month.

Performances begin at 7 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 13, and admission is $10.

Wrasse, who often performs around Bloomington, recently released her first CD of original songs. She’s been performing and writing her own music for about two years, according to her website.

She began playing piano when she was six years old and picked up the guitar when she was 10.

“What I love about music is the way it is able to connect everyone and bring people together,” Wrasse said on her website. “With my first album ‘At Night’ I wanted to tell stories of my personal experiences over the last two years in a relatable way that would be meaningful to others.”

In its seventh year, the Ferdinand Folk Festival features Americana roots, folk and bluegrass music, as well as country, rock and reggae bands from across the country.

The festival offers dozens of food, art, environment and wellness booths, activities for children, live theater, concerts and more.

For more information, visit www.ferdinandfolkfestival.com.

Grace Palmieri