academics & research

Young African civic leaders visiting Indianapolis as Mandela Fellows

Twenty-five of sub-Saharan Africa’s brightest young civic leaders have arrived in Indianapolis to participate in Nelson Mandela International Day service activities at four nonprofit organizations, attend workshops and make site visits.

They will help people in Indianapolis while exchanging ideas and offering insights into how communities in both the United States and Africa might improve the lives of youth and women and advance global health and environmental sustainability, according to an IUPUI press release.

IU’s Bloomington and Indianapolis campuses are playing host to the fellows for a six-week academic and leadership development institute that was created for their program. Launched in 2014, the Mandela Washington Fellowship empowers young African leaders through academic coursework, leadership training, mentoring, networking, professional opportunities and support for activities in their communities.

IU’s effort brings together faculty, practitioners and resources from the Office of the Vice President for International Affairs and several schools: the Lilly Family School of Philanthropy, the Kelley School of Business, the School of Public and Environmental Affairs, the School of Global and International Studies and the Maurer School of Law, according to a press release.

“We are proud to host the Mandela Washington Fellows here in Indianapolis,” said Powell in a press release. “Our hope is that they will be able to learn practical skills and knowledge they can implement in their countries in sub-Saharan Africa.”

Leo Smith