Nick Zeisloft and Nicole Volgraf earn the Big Ten Medal of Honor

IU alumni Nick Zeisloft and Nicole Volgraf both earned the Big Ten Medal of Honor, the conference announced in a press release.

This was the 102nd year of the award and 28 athletes from 16 sports across the Big Ten were given this distinction.

The award was started in 1915 and according to a press release, “was the first award in intercollegiate athletics to demonstrate support for the educational emphasis placed on athletics”.

The Big Ten Medal of Honor is awarded to one male and one female student from the graduating class of each school who has demonstrated excellence on and off the field throughout their career.

“The Big Ten Medal of Honor is an award that recognizes high achievement in both academic and athletic pursuits, and embodies the conference’s longstanding commitment to providing a broad-based experience,” Big Ten Commissioner James Delany said in a press release. “We are thrilled to congratulate the 28 recipients of this year’s award, as they join a list of prominent individuals who have earned this distinction over the past 102 years.”

Zeisloft played in 69 games in his two years at IU and shot 43.2 percent from three. Averaging 6.5 points per game, Zeisloft was a crucial part of the 2016 Big Ten Championship and Sweet Sixteen team.

Volgraf was a team captain this past season and started in 12 of her team’s 19 games. She scored two goals this season, becoming the 12th highest scoring player in IU history with 16 career goals. This past season, she received IU’s All-Big Ten Sportsmanship Award.

Volgraf was named to the Academic All-Big Ten team three times.

Andrew Hussey