IU alum Nicole Volgraf nominated from 2016 Woman of the Year

Red-shirt senior forward Nicole Volgraf waits for the ball to be put into play during the game against Penn State Sunday afternoon at the IU Field Hockey Complex. The Hoosiers defeated the Nittany Lions 1-0.

IU alumnae Nicole Volgraf has been nominated by the NCAA for the 2016 Woman of the Year.

This award is for graduating female athletes who have exhausted their eligibility and have distinguished themselves throughout their career for their academics, athletics, service and leadership.

Volgraf was one of 517 athletes nominated for the award, which are the most nominees in the history of the award.

“Nicole’s leadership was a major factor in our team’s improvement from ninth-place to third-place in the Big Ten,” IU Coach Amanda Janney said in a press release. “She was a tremendous role model for our younger student-athletes in her ability to prepare and work hard on and off the field.”

Volgraf was a team captain this past season and started in 12 of her team’s 19 games. She scored two goals this season, becoming the 12th highest scoring player in IU history with 16 career goals. For her efforts this past season, she received IU’s All-Big Ten Sportsmanship Award.

Volgraf was a part of the Academic All-Big Ten team three times

“On the field, Nicole encouraged and motivated our team to achieve more every day,” Janney said in a release. “Off the field, she was well respected as the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee representative, as she believed in our motto: ‘24 Sports, One Team’. She was innovative in making changes to better our athletic department.”

From the list of nominees, the conference committees will determine two representative athletes from their conference. The NCAA Committee on Women’s Athletics will select a winner from the nine finalists.