sports rowing

IU women's rowing team finishes 15th at NCAA regatta

women's rowing

IU finished 15th at the NCAA Championship regatta this past weekend.

This was IU’s third consecutive appearance at the regatta and its third overall appearance as a program.

“Coming into the regatta, it’s about where we should finish,” IU Coach Steve Peterson said in an IU press release. “The crews raced to their potential, and I’ve got nothing more I could ask from them on this given day. Hopefully they will take this and be hungrier for next year and finish higher than we have before.”

The 1v4 crew had the most success for the Hoosiers, finishing sixth in the petite final to take home 12th place overall. Their time of 7:23.400 was their fastest of the season. The crew was made up of freshman coxswain Leah Jade Hughes, stroke Sienna Patty, 3-seat Siri Kristiansen, junior 2-seat Katie Dreessen, and junior bow Kaelin Blessinger.

“It’s a great experience,” Hughes said in an IU press release . “It’s nice to see how well we did and then (come) back with a lot of the girls returning. We can only go up from here.”

The 2v8 crew finished the weekend in 14th place after a fourth place in the C Final with a time of 6:37.403.

The 1v8 crew also finished the C Final in fourth place with a time of 6:29.012, its second-fastest time of the season. It finished the weekend in 16th place overall.

“If we want to be a great team, our expectations have to be higher and our actions have to back that up,” Peterson said in a release.