Indiana University celebrating 45th annual Mini University

Mini University, a weeklong academic retreat sponsored by the IU Alumni Association and IU Lifelong Learning, is currently in the midst of its 45th annual program June 12 to 17 on the IU-Bloomington campus.

A conference check-in and brief orientation took place in the late afternoon Sunday, June 12. Later in the evening, a welcome dinner at the IMU Tudor Room aided in starting the week off. Classes began Monday, June 13. 

Attended by more than 550 participants from across the country, Mini University offers nearly 100 courses taught by IU’s finest faculty. More than 100 faculty members offer classes. Courses assemble in the IMU and at special locations, such as the Lilly Library. In addition to courses, participants are invited to participate in tours, films, social gatherings and an informal graduation ceremony at the end of the week, according to an IU press release.

“Mini University 2016 highlights 45 years of this award-winning program,” said Betsy Watson, director of IU Lifelong Learning and Mini University, in a press release. “In honor of this accomplishment, we will have IU President Michael A. McRobbie at the opening convocation to welcome the Mini U participants."

Mini University started in 1972 with about 75 students experiencing a educational retreat program for adults. Participants brought their families, lived out the week in a college dormitory and attended a variety of lectures and courses while their kids attended a children’s program at the former Shawnee Bluffs camp on Lake Monroe, according to a press release.

Today, Mini University draws educators, retirees and other lifelong learners to IU for what has been ranked by Frommer’s Budget Travel as one of the best learning trips in the country.

The IU Alumni Association is a global alumni organization that brings some 660,000 IU graduates together to support one another and IU throughout their lives. The IU Alumni Association motivates IU’s powerful network through live events, webinars, scholarship programs and fun traditions, according to a press release.

IU Lifelong Learning brings the knowledge, research and facilities of IU to adults in the greater community. A program of the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education, IU Lifelong Learning creates high-quality educational experiences that provide personal enrichment opportunities for adult learners utilizing the expertise of IU faculty according to a press release.

Questions in regards to classes can be directed to the Mini University office in Charter Room at 812-855-1805.