weekend

A weekend in the life

“Weekend” is one of my favorite films with an LGBT focus. 

I admire its focused simplicity and the excellent performances of the main same-sex couple. It makes its simple love story into something worth watching.

The protagonist of this movie is Russell, a reserved lifeguard living in the English midlands. He has a one-night stand with Glen, an outspoken artist. Glen’s leaving for Oregon, but they grow closer in the days leading up to his departure.

In some ways, “Weekend” reminds me of “Breaking Away.” Both films have a focus on relationships and do not need big action sequences to get their points across. They both use excellent filmmaking and talented actors to get you involved in a simple and human story.

Some of the best scenes consist solely of Russell and Glen talking. Their conversations provide all the drama a viewer could ask for, and they do so without complicated special effects. The most enjoyable part of “Weekend” is seeing the relationship between these two men develop into something beautiful.

Such a performance-based film would fail if it didn’t have great actors. Tom Cullen is excellent at showing Russell’s quietness and strength. Chris New does a great job of letting the audience see the pain beneath his outbursts about how gay people are treated. 

Together, they make for one of the most interesting and complex couples I’ve seen in recent years on film.

If you’ve been to the United Kingdom, you’ll smile at this film’s Englishness. In particular, I liked hearing a reference to the supermarket chain Tesco. 

The beautiful architecture of the city where this film takes place reminded me of Edinburgh, Scotland.

Russell and Glen frequently discuss issues relating to being gay men, and their conversations made me consider issues that do not relate to me as a straight man. The film even delves into their conflicting ideas of identity, so you understand both Russell’s reluctance to engage in public affection and Glen’s pride in his sexuality.

Russell and Glen also have different ways of dealing with life. Russell is more settled, while Glen restlessly wants to keep moving. Their navigation of these differing desires provides great drama and makes their story universal.

I truly and sincerely believe movies can be portals to life experiences that we can never undergo ourselves. 

For 97 minutes, “Weekend” helped me understand some of what members of the LGBT community go through. 

I wouldn’t trade the understanding and empathy this excellent film helped me develop for anything.

jpastern@indiana.edu | @jessepasternack