Kirkwood Observatory to live stream Mercury transit for public

IU’s Department of Astronomy will show a live stream from Kirkwood Observatory of the transit of Mercury on May 9, according to an IU press release.

The viewing is free and open to the public from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the observatory, located between Fourth Street and Kirkwood Avenue behind Bryan Hall.

The transit of Mercury is “a celestial event in which the planet closest to our solar system’s sun passes between the Earth and Sun and casts a silhouette across the star’s surface,” according to the release.

Mercury’s transit will begin after sunrise at 7:13 a.m. and end at 2:41 p.m. However, for observers in Eastern Europe, Asia and most of Africa, the transit doesn’t end until after sunset.

It won’t be visible in eastern Asia, Japan, Indonesia, Australia and New Zealand.

In addition to viewing it in person, the stream is available on the Department of Astronomy’s website.

“We’re excited to welcome the public to our observatory on campus and online to experience in this beautiful and educational event,” said Catherine A. Pilachowski, the Daniel Kirkwood chair in the IU Department of Astronomy. “This is the first opportunity to experience Mercury’s transit across the Sun in nearly a decade, and we’re eager to help everyone with a love of space get a front-row seat to this celestial dance.”

The safest and easiest way to view the transit is online or with assistance from IU’s astronomy faculty and students, according to the release.

Almost 10 years ago — Nov. 8, 2006 — is the last time Mercury passed between Earth and the Sun. The next transit won’t occur until 
November 2019.

A special open night will take place Sunday, May 15, in celebration of the observatory’s 115th anniversary, according to the release.