Tuesday, March 19

Kids at polls weigh in on presidential race

In a voting booth at Faith Lutheran Church on Tuesday afternoon, two pairs of shoes were visible underneath the red and white dividers: the modest shoes of a voter and a smaller pink pair of sneakers belonging to second-grader Anna Callahan.

Callahan, like many children, accompanied her mom to the polls Tuesday.

But unlike most children in her class at Templeton Elementary, Callahan, 8, said she would not reveal who she wanted to vote for.

“I keep mine personal,” she said.

Callahan could name all the Democratic and Republican candidates except Ohio Gov. John Kasich, and she said other kids in her school also know about the election.

Some of her classmates talk about Republican candidate Donald Trump and make names for him including “Donald Dump” and “Ducky Dump.”

“They don’t like him,” Callahan said. “He just wants the power and the money, I think.”

Callahan said she thinks Democratic candidate Bernie Sanders wants everyone to go to college and said her dad explained some of his policies to her in the car.

“I think he says it is not fair that some people own banks and own other stuff,” Callahan said.

Callahan said the issue most important to her this election is improving schools. She said her school is fine, but believes another school near her could use help.

“I know some schools aren’t doing as well,” Callahan said.

Jane Bunger, 6, visited the polls with her dad and two siblings, Tommy, 4, and Johnny, 1.

Her explanation for the president’s job was just one word.

“Help,” Bunger said.

Bunger and Ginger Guschwan, 3, did not know who the current president is, and were unsure who were running for president in this election.

“My mommy?” Guschwan said looking up to her mother.

Bunger also thought her father might be running for president.

Callahan said she hopes Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton doesn’t win because she wants to be the first female president.

She said she has an idea of what a good president should do.

“They should make good choices and help the country,” Callahan said. “I think that they should be someone who can make the world a better place.”