IU women's golf team competes in NCAA Tournament regional

After one round at the NCAA Tournament Central Regional, the Indiana Hoosiers currently sit at +17 overall as a team which is good for 15th place out of 18 teams.

Thursday was the first day of the three-round tournament for the Hoosiers in Bryan, Texas. Round two will take place Friday while the final round will take place 
Saturday.

The Hoosiers entered the regional as the 14th seed and will need to finish in the top six in order to advance to the NCAA Championships in two weeks time. Individual golfers also can advance if they are one of the top-three golfers not on a top-six team.

The five golfers that competed for IU were junior Ana Sanjuan in the one spot followed by freshman Erin Harper, senior Camille Chevalier, sophomore Alix Kong and junior Theresa-Ann Jedra.

Chevalier and Harper both finished with a team best score of 3-over par Friday and are tied for 46th in the individual scoreboard. Sanjuan, coming off of a team best score at the Big Ten Championships, shot 5-over par (T63) while Jedra finished at 6-over and Kong at 10-over par (T87).

Harper was the only IU golfer that was under par at any point of the round as she birdied her first hole, No. 10, and her score was as low as 3-under par through seven holes before finishing with a 75.

As for the other four, three bogeyed their first hole, the 10th, while Kong triple-bogeyed and only collected two birdies on the day.

Entering round two, there is a six-stroke gap between IU and the next closest team, Southern Methodist University, at 11-over par who is in 11th place. The team holding onto the sixth spot is currently Miami at 2-over par while Georgia and Arizona currently lead the tournament at 3-under par.