sports baseball

IU baseball the No. 3 seed for the Big Ten Tournament

The Hoosiers came to Lincoln, Nebraska, with a chance to win the Big Ten regular season title.

They left Lincoln in third place after three losses. IU also only scored one run while being swept by Nebraska.

This means IU will be the No. 3 seed in this week’s Big Ten Tournament, a tournament IU needs to win if it hopes to qualify for the NCAA Tournament since it ended the regular season ranked No. 93 in the RPI.

The Hoosiers only managed 12 hits in the three-game series, with six coming in the series finale.

Senior pitcher Kyle Hart started the opener Thursday night, going six innings and allowing three runs, all in the sixth.

Those three runs would be all Nebraska needed. Junior outfielder Craig Dedelow provided the only Hoosier run with a solo home run to lead off the ninth inning.

That would end up being the only Hoosier run of the weekend.

IU now enters the Big Ten Tournament on a four-game losing streak.

Hart will presumably start IU’s first game of the tournament Wednesday morning against 
Maryland.

Hart is the Big Ten’s leader in wins with 10 and will likely go against Maryland’s junior pitcher Mike Shawaryn in the opening game of the tournament.

After winning 13 games his sophomore season, Shawaryn has only managed to win five games this season. He does still have a 3.30 ERA, however.

For the Hoosiers to win the Big Ten Tournament, they will need to win at least four games and as many as five. IU has had winning streaks of at least four games three times this season with the longest streak being eight games in early April.