COLUMN: American christians hold us back

Despite rhetoric from the religious right that America prospered when religion was firmly integrated into our system of government and our social norms, it’s clear the most popular version of Christianity in America is holding us back.

According to a Gallup Poll, about 60 percent of Americans think religion is “very important” to them. Meanwhile, in Western Europe, only 21 percent feel the same.

In Western Europe, nearly every country has some form of state-sponsored, single-payer healthcare. College tuition is free or affordable. Minimum wages are significantly higher. Their middle class is stronger. And, perhaps most importantly, people aren’t consistently denied basic human rights.

Europe might not be a paradise. Many countries still struggle with racism, xenophobia and Islamophobia. They are in economic decline, though it is not because of their social net policies.

In fact, Jean Claude-Juncker, the president of the European Commission — the executive arm of the European Union — suggested trade policies and a lack of demographic diversity are to blame. In response, Juncker wants to continue focusing on “social Europe,” employment rights and strengthening the middle class.

Not in America.

In America, the word “socialism” could probably be synonymous with pure evil and publicly funded social net programs are staunchly fought against by the religious right.

In America, we pass laws restricting the freedoms of LGBT members because what they do somehow affects our religious freedom, to the point where Britain issued a travel warning to LGBT travelers visiting North Carolina or 
Mississippi.

It seems American Christians wouldn’t be able to enjoy a meal unless they knew someone else was starving. And that little anecdote is actually provable.

Academics from seven universities worldwide studied the relationship in children between altruism and religious upbringing in the United States, Canada, China, Jordan, Turkey and South 
Africa

Non-religious children from ages 5 to 12 were found to be more empathetic, less judgmental and more willing to share than the Christian or Muslim children.

In my personal discussions and observations, American Christians seem to be obsessed with the notion everything in life must be earned and worked for. Supporting government-funded social services somehow equates to entitlement and laziness.

This fascinates me since Christianity is based on the premise that all have sinned and do not deserve to enter into Heaven but are saved by the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross.

Yet, when called to be like Jesus here on Earth, many American Christians are incapable of showing mercy to the poor and sacrificing a few tax dollars, which would provide basic services for the 320 million people living in the U.S.

Please don’t misunderstand. This isn’t an indictment of every Christian or the religion itself, but the way it’s practiced in America.

I’m a Christian and am saddened and disappointed by the representation it receives worldwide, but especially in the States.

I deplore Christians that insist on shoving their religion down other’s throats and publicly parade it around every chance they get. It’s not biblical and it’s damaging to our faith.

Instead, fellow Christians, let us actually embody the qualities Christ did, by giving out free medical services, free meals, free education and undeserved mercy.