Auditorium announces new season

The IU Auditorium released its 2016-17 season with a variety of performances this week, a few of which are making their debuts in Bloomington.

For the first time, the Tony-award winning Broadway revival “Pippin” and the Fiasco Theater production of “Into the Woods” will take stage in the upcoming season, according to an IU press release.

Other Broadway productions will include “White Christmas,” “Mamma Mia!” and the 20th anniversary production of “Rent.”

The schedule is also set to feature several concerts, dance, holiday traditions and other performances.

The all-men Bloomington-native group Straight No Chaser will perform for its 20th anniversary of the “I’ll Have Another ... World Tour” in December.

Additionally, trumpeter Chris Botti and the Dance Theatre of Harlem will perform. The Chimes of Christmas annual concert by the Singing Hoosiers and other Jacobs School of Music artists will also have two shows Dec. 3, according to the release.

The Cleveland Orchestra will also visit IU as well as the a capella group Vocalosity.

The auditorium will also play host to humorist David Sedaris and the Shaolin Warriors, who will present a Kung Fu demonstration, according to the press release.

For the best seating options, patrons are recommended to become subscribers by choosing five or more events by July 29, according to the release.

By subscribing now, patrons are able to reserve seats before tickets go on sale to the general public Aug. 26.

Payroll deduction is available for IU employees, and students may bill tickets to their bursar account.

“Our 2016-17 season is a celebration of the performing arts, and we are proud to present such a variety of world-class events,” Doug Booher, auditorium director, said in the release.

“It is an honor to highlight great artists that began their careers right here at IU, like renowned trumpeter Chris Botti and the talented members of Straight No Chaser. This season will continue the IU Auditorium’s grand tradition of presenting the highest quality performances for our region.”