The year in review

Semester in review

Here is a look back at some of the big events at IU during the 2015-16 academic year.

Sept. 30, 2015: IU student Yaolin Wang found dead

IU student Yaolin Wang was found dead in the common area of Stratum Apartments. Her death was part of a murder-suicide involving her boyfriend Chuanlin Xiao.

Oct. 2, 2015: IU student 
Joseph Smedley’s body found

Smedley was reported missing Sept. 28. Four days later, his body was found in Griffy Lake, and his death was ruled a drowning by suicide. A vigil honoring the lives of Smedley and Wang later took place in Dunn Meadow.

Oct. 12, 2015: ATO house shut down

The Alpha Tau Omega fraternity house was shut down after the release of a sexually explicit video on Twitter on Oct. 7. About a month later, ATO members were evicted from their house. This was just one incident in a series of violations throughout the years. There is no longer an ATO chapter at IU.

Nov. 1, 2015: IUDM raises $3.8 million in its 25th year

After months of preparation by 1,300 committee members and 36 hours of dancing by 2,700 students, the 2015 IU Dance Marathon raised $3.8 million. More than 50 families from Riley Hospital for Children attended the event.

Nov. 19, 2015: Jared Fogle sentenced to prison

Former Subway spokesperson and IU alumnus Jared Fogle was sentenced to 15 years and eight months imprisonment after being charged with possession of child pornography and traveling across state lines to engage in sex with a minor.

Dec. 26, 2015: IU plays Duke in Pinstripe Bowl

IU football qualified for its first bowl game since 2007 with a 6-6 regular season record. The Hoosiers played in the Pinstripe Bowl after their best season in the Kevin Wilson era. They lost to Duke 44-41 in overtime.

Feb. 8, 2016: Violette Verdy dies at 82

Violette Verdy, a distinguished professor of ballet in IU’s Jacobs School of Music, died in her Bloomington home at age 82. Verdy was a famous French ballerina, choreographer, teacher and writer.

Feb. 26, 2016: IU Deputy Title IX director resigns

IU Deputy Title IX director Jason Casares resigned following accusations of sexual assault in January. This led to an IU investigation and 18 assault cases being reviewed.

March 26, 2015: Hoosiers reach Sweet 16

After wins against Chattanooga and Kentucky in the first and second rounds of the NCAA Tournament, IU advanced to the Sweet 16 in Philadelphia. But IU couldn’t keep up with the No. 1 seed North Carolina in a 101-86 loss to end the season.

April 15-16, 2016: Delts, Phoenix take Little 500 titles

Delta Tau Delta won this year’s men’s Little 500, while Phoenix edged out Delta Gamma for the women’s title. “The Bachelor” star and IU alumnus Ben Higgins returned to Bloomington to serve as grand marshal of the race.

April 24, 2015: One year since Hannah Wilson’s murder

During the 2015 Little 500 weekend, senior Hannah Wilson was allegedlyabducted from her home. Her body was found hours later in Brown County, Indiana. A year later, friends and family are still mourning the loss of Wilson.

April 27-May 1, 2016: 
Presidential candidates visit Indiana

Democratic candidates Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders and republican candidates Ted Cruz and Donald Trump campaigned throughout Indiana leading up to the primary May 3. Sanders and Trump got victories.