Questions on farting and bleeding

Last night I tried fingering my asshole for the second time. (First time was the night before). As I was fingering my asshole, I noticed that there was a bit of a squishy noise. After I orgasmed, it felt like there was a liquid coming out, which I thought was sort of normal since my vagina gets wet too. But then I was lying there, my legs up and open, and I couldn’t stop farting. There was no air or gas and it didn’t really even smell. My bumhole was just going crazy. Is this normal?

You probably could tell, but I’ll ask anyway — are you sure it was from your butt?

The vagina can also release trapped air — some people call them “varts” or “queefs”. They make sounds but don’t smell.

If you were fingering your butt and forcing air up inside, it also might be that your rectum was just releasing trapped air.

Otherwise, I am not sure what might have happened, and wish I had a better answer other than the human body does all kinds of interesting and quirky things!

If it keeps happening and you want to make sure everything is fine, it never hurts to check in with a healthcare provider.

But certainly both the vagina and anus/rectum do release trapped air and gas. It’s happened to many people before and will continue to do so as long as people have butts and vaginas and put fingers or penises or toys inside of them!

I’m really scared about something that happened to me earlier. I was having sex with my boyfriend and I started bleeding (no period). It was bright red and stopped right after. But I was just wondering if there’s anything wrong. Please answer soon to let me know.

A lot of people experience vaginal bleeding connected to sex, especially when they are young and their periods are irregular.

But there are other causes for vaginal bleeding, too. You may have some small cuts or tears or an inflamed cervix.

It’s worth mentioning this to your doctor at your next gyn visit or earlier if it continues or causes pain or discomfort or if the amount of blood seems unusual to you.

Kinsey Confidential is a collaboration of the Kinsey Institute and the IU School of Public Health. Dr. Debby Herbenick is an associate professor at IU and author of six books about sex including “The Coregasm Workout” and “Sex Made Easy.” Find our blog and archived Q&A at kinseyconfidential.org. Follow Dr. Herbenick on Twitter @DebbyHerbenick and Kinsey Confidential at @KinseyCon.