Maurer to speak at 2016 graduate commencement

IU alumnus Michael “Mickey” Maurer will give the 2016 graduate commencement address May 6.

Maurer, an attorney, civic servant and philanthropist, will also be given an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree during the commencement ceremony, according to an IU press release.

In his career as an entrepreneur and attorney, Maurer has worked in film production, cable television, radio broadcasting, newspaper publishing, real estate and banking. Maurer is admitted to the New York and Indiana bars and received a Doctor of Jurisprudence from the IU School of Law.

In 2008, the IU School of Law-Bloomington was renamed after Maurer in recognition of his longtime service and generosity to IU, according to the release.

“Among the many beneficiaries of his success and generosity have been IU students and faculty,” IU President Michael McRobbie said in the release. “This includes his and his wife Janie’s exceptional support of scholarships that are essential to IU’s mission as a great public university to provide a quality education to all qualified students. Those who have heard Mickey speak are moved by his enthusiasm to act on behalf of others.”

An Indianapolis native, Maurer is chairman of IBJ Corp., which owns and publishes the Indianapolis Business Journal, the Indiana Lawyer and Court and Commercial Record. He is also chairman of the board of directors for the National Bank of Indianapolis, which is Central Indiana’s largest locally owned financial 
institution.

Maurer was named president of the Indiana Economic Development Corp. in 2005 and Indiana secretary of commerce by former Gov. Mitch Daniels in 2006.

On “Mickey’s Corner,” an Emmy Award-winning program on WXIN Fox 59, Maurer interviewed Indiana Luminaries. In 2001, Maurer established “Mickey’s Camp,” which has raised more than $2 million for charities in Central Indiana.

Maurer has authored five books and has served as president of the Jewish Community Relations Council, as well as chairman of the board of the United Way of Central Indiana and of the Indianapolis Zoological Society.

“Mickey’s legacy as a community leaders and philanthropist serves as a sterling example to all of us,” McRobbie said in the release. “We are extremely pleased to welcome him back to address our graduates.”

The commencement ceremony will begin at 3 p.m. inside the John Mellencamp Pavilion. The procession begins at 1:45 p.m., according to the release. Doors will open at 1 p.m.

No tickets are needed to attend commencement, which will be free and open to the public.