Jamie Hyneman to speak at commencement

Jamie Hyneman

“MythBusters” co-host Jamie Hyneman will be the commencement speaker for IU-Bloomington’s undergraduate commencement May 7.

Hyneman, who graduated from IU in 1981, will speak at the ceremony, which will begin at 10 a.m. at the IU Memorial Stadium, according to an IU press release.

In addition to hosting the popular TV show, Hyneman is a former survivor expert, film effects specialist, charter boat captain, engineer and inventor.

Hyneman has a degree in Russian language and linguistics through the College of Arts and Sciences’ Individualized Major Program.

IU President Michael McRobbie said in the release few have done as much as Hyneman to share science and engineering with large audiences.

“As an IU graduate with a degree in Russian linguistics, he has exploded any myth that studying the humanities will not lead to an exciting and successful career,” McRobbie said in the release. “We at Indiana University are delighted and proud to welcome him as the IU Bloomington 2016 undergraduate commencement speaker.”

Hyneman was born in Michigan and raised in Columbus, Indiana, according to the release. He ran a charter business in the Caribbean after graduation and eventually sailed back to the United States to work in the film effects industry.

Hyneman has been involved in more than 800 commericals and features films over the course of 20 years, according to the 
release.

In addition to his work on “MythBusters,” Hyneman has been working with the National Reconnaissance Office, the U.S. Army, the Office of Naval Research and local law enforcement, according to the release. Hyneman received the 2012 Distinguished Alumni Award from IU Bloomington’s College of Arts and Sciences.

Curtis R. Simic, president emeritus of the IU Foundation, will be presented an honorary Doctorate of Human Letters degree at the commencement ceremony, according to the release.

Simic, who retired in 2008 after serving as president of the IU Foundation for more than 20 years, had been responsible for overseeing fundraising which has grown from $70 million from 60,000 donors to more than $270 million from more than 120,000 donors, according to the release.

“Curt Simic is widely recognized for his expertise in higher education development as well as his affection for and loyalty to Indiana University,” McRobbie said in the release. “Curt deserves enormous credit for the strong support that IU enjoys from its alumni and friends, and he is richly deserving of this honorary degree.”

Commencement is free and will be open to the public.

Carley Lanich