IU honors distinguished faculty, grad students

Ten faculty members and one graduate student will be honored at IU’s annual dinner and ceremony Friday in the Indiana Memorial Union.

Honorees are receiving awards for achievements in teaching, research and service to the University, and come from the IU-Bloomington, IU-Northwest, IU-Purdue University Indianapolis and IU-South Bend campuses.

IU President Michael McRobbie will present the awards.

“At this celebration we honor the full spectrum of educators, from associate instructor to distinguished professor, as we recognize superior scholarship and creative activity, teaching excellence and exemplary service,” McRobbie said in an IU press release. “These are some of IU’s finest faculty members, whose efforts every day in the classroom, laboratory and studio transform the lives of students, preparing them for successful careers after graduation.”

Five professors from IU-Bloomington were promoted to distinguished professors — the highest academic appointment a faculty member can attain at the University.

From the College of Arts and Sciences, awarded faculty members are professors Roger Hangarter, a molecular plant biologist from the Department of Biology; and Eliot Smith, a researcher of cognition and emotions from the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences.

Others include Katy Börner, visualization researcher from the School of Informatics and Computing; and Stanley Ritchie, professor of violin and early music in the Jacobs School of Music.

Dr. Bruce Molitoris, a researcher of renal disease in the IU School of Medicine’s Department of Medicine in Indianapolis, has also achieved the rank of distinguished professor.

Four professors will receive the President’s Award for Teaching. This award honors exceptional faculty for their dedication to students and commitment to excellence.

The four honorees for this award are IU-South Bend faculty members Mark Bradford, adjunct lecturer in management, and Gary Kern, associate professor and chair of decision sciences. Also receiving the award are Tim Hallett, associate professor of sociology at IU-Bloomington, and Diane Larson, senior lecturer in computer information systems at IU-Northwest.

The Lieber Memorial Teaching Associate Award will be presented to Rachel La Touche, a doctoral candidate in sociology at IU-Bloomington. This award goes to University graduate students who combine their programs of advanced study with instructional positions in their schools and departments.

The John W. Ryan Award for Distinguished Contributions to International Programs and Studies will be given to Patricia McDougall-Covin, director of the Institute for International Business in the Kelley School of Business. This award honors faculty members and librarians from all campuses for contributions to the University’s international programs and studies.

Taylor Telford