IU Chancellor's Professor selected for American Academy of Arts and Sciences membership

Robert Goldstone, an IU Chancellor’s Professor, has been selected for membership in the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.

The academy is considered one of the nation’s oldest and most prestigious honorary societies, according to an IU press release.

The American Academy is a leading center for independent policy research and allows members to contribute studies and research on topics in the humanities, international affairs, arts, education and policy.

Goldstone, who has been given two young investigator awards from the American Psychological Association and has received the Chase Memorial Award for Outstanding Younger Researcher in Cognitive Science, is a past director of the IU Cognitive Science Program. He currently works in the College of Arts and Sciences’ Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences.

Goldstone is one of the world’s foremost researchers and thought leaders in cognitive science, IU President Michael McRobbie said in the press release.

“His investigations into our complex systems of reasoning, recognition, collective behavior and decision-making have led to major scholarly insights into how people learn, interact and organize with others,” McRobbie said in the release.

Goldstone, whose research focuses on concept and perceptual learning, as well as collective behavior and computational modeling, has developed neural network models to learn about human behavior.

He received the 2000 Distinguished Scientific Award for Early Career Contribution to Psychology from the APA and a 2004 Troland Research Award from the National Academy of Sciences, according to the release.

After receiving his bachelor’s degree in cognitive science from Oberlin College in 1986, his master’s degree in psychology from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1989 and a Ph.D. in psychology from the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor in 1991, Goldstein is now a fellow of the Cognitive Science Society, the Society for Experimental Psychologists and the Association for Psychological Science.

“Indeed, over the last 25 years, he has been one of the most accomplished members of Indiana University’s outstanding community of scholars, which is a distinguishing and essential characteristic of any world-class research university,” McRobbie said in the release. “His selection for membership in the prestigious American Academy of Arts and Sciences is well-deserved.”

Other recently elected members of the American Academy include IU alumni Jeremy Denk, a classical pianist, and John Monahan, a psychologist. The new class will be inducted Oct. 8 in Cambridge, 
Massachusetts.

“It is an honor to welcome this new class of exceptional women and men as part of our distinguished membership,” academy board chairman Don Randel said in the release. “Their election affords us an invaluable opportunity to bring their expertise and knowledge to bear on some of the most significant challenges of our day. We look forward to engaging these new members in the work of the academy.”