IU administrator leads search for CEO

Christopher J. Viers

IU’s Associate Vice President for International Services Christopher J. Viers will manage a search for the next CEO of the world’s biggest organization of international educators, the NAFSA: Association of International Educators.

At IU, Viers leads the University-wide Office of International Services, which handles international recruitment and admission, international student and scholar advising, programming and support services. It is also the team responsible for the ongoing development and support of IU’s immigration case management and compliance software solution, Sunapsis.

“Chris Viers has transformed our services to international students and scholars,” said David Zaret, IU vice president for international affairs. “He has overseen the development of tools that now support one in four international students in the U.S.”

Zaret said Viers’ leadership has had a positive influence on the quality of students’ educations and qualifications.

“He has refashioned international admissions at IU, and we are seeing more diversity and more highly qualified students than ever before,” Zaret added. “His knowledge of international issues and his efficient management skills make him the ideal candidate to guide the selection of one of the most important international administrators in the U.S.”

NAFSA: Association of International Educators has more than 10,000 members at 3,500 institutions in more than 150 countries worldwide. It promotes collaborative, intercultural learning and leadership.

IU has been involved with NAFSA since its founding in 1948, and Leo Dowling, IU’s first director of international services, served as one of its founding presidents.

“It has been an honor to build on Leo’s legacy in international services at IU the past 14 years and a privilege to be affiliated throughout my career in international education administration with NAFSA,” Viers said in an IU press release. “I was humbled to be asked by the board of directors to chair the search for the association’s executive director, and I look forward to working with my colleagues in identifying an exceptional 21st-century leader.”

Viers has been an active member of NAFSA since 1989. He has had several state, regional and national leadership positions, including vice president for education and professional development from 2007 to 2009. He also served as board member from 2006 to 2011 and as president and chair of the board of directors in 2010.

Fanta Aw, chair of NAFSA’s board of directors and assistant vice president for campus life at American University, said Viers was the best choice given his contributions to the field and NAFSA.

“Chris has a strong track record of strategic leadership, knows the organization and its members well, and is deeply respected in the field and known with great admiration by countless members,” Aw said in the release. “His ability to listen and engage others will make a world of difference as we prepare for the future.