Freddie McSwain commits to IU for last two years of eligibility

Freddie McSwain announced Sunday afternoon he will spend his final two years of eligibility in Bloomington.

McSwain officially announced the decision in the Neosho County Community College gym. He chose between an IU hat and a Kansas State hat.

After initially picking up the Kansas State hat and thanking Coach Bruce Weber for the recruitment, the forward said he would be playing basketball at IU.

McSwain averaged 14 points per game last season for Neosho County Community College in addition to 8.4 rebounds in 24.3 minutes a game.

McSwain visited IU from Monday to Wednesday and worked out with freshman center Thomas Bryant, freshman forward OG Anunoby and junior guard Josh Newkirk during the visit. McSwain said the development of players under Tom Crean attracted him to IU’s program.

IU is now over-signed for next season by one player, meaning one player will have to leave. That could be junior forward Troy Williams, who has declared for the NBA draft but has not hired an agent. If Williams does hire an agent before the May 11 deadline, IU will be at the requirement for amount of scholarship players.

If not, someone will need to transfer.

Michael Hughes