Bernie Sanders to visit campus today

US NEWS CAMPAIGN-DEMOCRATS 5 LA

Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders will visit campus at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the IU Auditorium for a rally ahead of the May 3 Indiana presidential primary.

The rally, announced Monday, is not ticketed and will be first come, first served.The auditorium’s capacity is about 3100 and doors open at 5 p.m.

“Bernie Sanders is very popular with young people,” said Audrey Todd, a junior who has coordinated with the Sanders campaign. “He wants to come and meet students and make sure we all get out to vote.”

This is the first time a presidential candidate will visit Bloomington this election cycle. President Obama visited Bloomington in 2008 during his first campaign.

According to a press release, rally-goers should not bring bags to the event and limit what they carry to essential items like cell phones and keys.

Todd, vice president of College Democrats of Indiana, said she encourages students who wish to attend the rally to leave backpacks at home. She said she did not know whether students with bags would be turned away.

Todd also said a few more volunteers are needed for the rally. If interested, she said she can be reached via email at avtodd@umail.iu.edu.

Caleb Bauer, president of Students for Bernie Sanders at IU, will introduce Sanders at the rally. The Sanders campaign reached out to Bauer Sunday night about a rally and the event was organized within a day, Bauer said.

The rally was supposed to be outside at either Dunn Meadow or Woodlawn Field, Bauer said, but due to the chance of rain, the rally will be indoors.

Sanders is running a 50-state campaign, so Bauer said he feels Indiana’s primary this year is more significant than in previous elections.

Indiana’s presidential primary is on Tuesday, and Sanders trails former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in delegates nationally.

IU students can vote in the Indiana primary if they have already registered to vote in Monroe County and possess a state-issued identification. IU identification cards do meet the state-mandated criteria for valid identification and can be used.

Registered voters in Monroe County can cast an early ballot 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. until Friday at 401 W. Seventh St. Suite 100 and 401 N. Morton St.

Early voting will be at the same locations from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday, noon to 6 p.m. on Sunday and 8 a.m. to noon on Monday.

Polls will be open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. on May 3 across Monroe County.