Associate professor named Tech Educator of the Year

Kylie Peppler, an associate professor of learning sciences in the IU School of Education, received the Tech Educator of the Year award April 23 at TechPoint’s 17th annual Mira Awards.

The Tech Educator of the Year award is given to an individual who works to ensure a pipeline of future talent in the tech community, according to the TechPoint website. The Mira Awards are given every year to celebrate success stories in Indiana’s technology growth, according to a press release for the IU Center of Excellence for Women in Technology.

Peppler was nominated for the award by CEWiT’s Faculty Leadership Team, to which she has belonged for three years, according to a CEWiT press release.

Peppler is champion of the CEWiT Circles Program and is “passionate about encouraging girls and women to work and study in STEM-related fields,” according to the release.

Those who nominated Peppler described her as “someone who works to understand the connection between arts and technology in attempt to deepen a child’s learning experience,” according to the release.

Her research has centered on the intersection of new technology, media arts and informal arts and has led to Peppler’s authorship of three books in print. She has also co-authored four books in press.

Additional research in 
e-textiles led Peppler to create Lilyponod, an online community connecting designers and creators.

Peppler has received grants from the National Science Foundation and John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation.

“Through her advocacy in the Maker Movement, she has created wearable computers and electronically enhanced puppets to educate children in grades K-3 about biological systems through stimulation,” according to the CEWiT’s release.

Ninety-eight companies, organizations and individuals were nominated for Mira Awards, according to the release. There were a total of 17 awards presented, as well as seven runners-up named for these awards.