Will my girlfriend get pregnant?

My girlfriend and I were teasing and pleasing each other. After getting a little overexcited, I ejaculated in between her ass, in the gap. Is there a chance of her getting pregnant? She had her last period three to four days ago. She does not want to use an emergency contraceptive pill because of side effects. What should I do?

Because the anal area and vaginal opening are pretty close to each other, it is possible that some of your semen may have dripped toward her vaginal opening.

If that happened and any of your semen got inside her vagina, then there is a low but real chance of pregnancy.

Pregnancy risk is caused not only by the presence of sperm in the vagina but also by whether a woman is about to ovulate, or ovulating, when those sperm are present.

Sperm can live up to several days. If she ovulated on the same day that you ejaculated on her, or if she ovulated in the few days after you ejaculated on her, then there is the chance of pregnancy.

There are very few side effects of emergency contraception, so if you two truly do not want to become pregnant, you might consider looking into emergency contraception.

If she is worried about particular side effects or has questions about it, she might feel better talking with a nurse or doctor to learn more information.

However, she should do so quickly, because emergency contraception is most effective if taken within three days of unprotected intercourse.

And while there may be some risk of side effects, they pale in comparison to an actual unintended pregnancy which — aside from a growing embryo/fetus — also involves nausea, vomiting, breast tenderness and significant fatigue for many pregnant women.

In the future, please consider safer sex play. That means that if you don’t want to become pregnant, using condoms and/or birth control such as the pill, patch, shot, ring or IUD. Learn more about these on the Planned Parenthood website, plannedparenthood.com.

Kinsey Confidential is a collaboration of The Kinsey Institute and the IU School of Public Health. Dr. Debby Herbenick is an associate professor at Indiana University and author of six books about sex including “The Coregasm Workout” and “Sex Made Easy.” Find our blog and archived Q&A at KinseyConfidential.org. Follow Dr. Herbenick on Twitter @DebbyHerbenick and Kinsey Confidential at @KinseyCon.