Twin Peaks to play Blockhouse

Twin Peaks is an indie-rock band from Chicago that have gained popularity in the past few years. They are releasing an album entitled "Down in Heaven" on May 13th and will play the Blockhouse tomorrow.

Before Chicago-based garage rock band Twin Peaks was playing music festivals like Pitchfork and Lollapalooza, it was just another gang of teenage friends.

The band, which headlined last year’s Culture Shock Music Festival, is set to release its third full-length LP, “Down in Heaven,” in May.

Twin Peaks is once again slated for a number of music festivals this summer and will perform Saturday at the Blockhouse.

Singer and guitarist Cadien Lake James said he feels fortunate to have grown up with his 
bandmates.

“I’ve slept in beds with these guys more than any women,” 
he said.

Because the band released its first album when its members were still teenagers, he said many critics are calling “Down in Heaven” the most mature Twin Peaks 
album yet.

However, James said this description might not be totally 
accurate.

“I guess it’s a little cleaner, but I don’t really think it’s like some hi-fi record,” he said.

The album did come with a few changes, he said, which might be a reason for the description.

John Agnello, who has worked with artists like Kurt Vile in the past, mixed the album in studio with the band. James said this was a first.

Also, the album features a wider spread of singers and songwriters than the previous two albums. James said he, bassist Jack Dolan, keyboardist Colin Croom and guitarist Clay Frankel each take the lead on at least one song.

“I really genuinely love everybody’s songwriting, so it’s fun to get to play these guys’ songs and have them play on mine,” 
James said.

Though there’s a wider variety than the previous two albums, James said Twin Peaks has always spread out the songwriting among members. It gives everyone a break when performing and makes for sonic variety.

With each album, James said the band’s sound shifts a little bit.

“We just start to like different things and get influenced by different things, so it’s not like some big plan or scheme on how we’re going to approach things,” he said. “It’s more just kind of like we’re winging it, and that’s what 
comes out.”

With every album and passing year, Twin Peaks’ popularity grows, James said. He’s humbled when he comes back to his hometown and sees such a large fan base.

“Sometimes people tell me I’m famous, and I think it’s silly,” 
he said.

The growing fame has spelled the end of the band’s ability to play smaller venues and house shows, 
he said.

“It’s really hard for us to play them nowadays just because if anybody finds out we’re playing, way too many people show up,” 
he said.

James said he came to this realization last New Year’s Eve at a show in a church.

Twin Peaks didn’t even announce it was playing until the day of the show, but about 500 people still showed up, along with police officers, and many showgoers were turned away at the door, he said.

“That was kind of a wake-up call,” he said.

Despite the popularity, James and his bandmates have to work part-time when they’re not touring to manage expenses, he said. Most of them live with their parents.

“We get by,” he said. “It’s getting better, but it’s not like we tend to live real lavish.”