sports softball

IU softball will play last away tournament in Alabama this weekend

Riding its best start in three years, IU will travel to Auburn, Alabama, to play in the Wilson/DeMarini Classic this weekend for its final tournament away from home.

The Hoosiers sit at 8-6 so far and will play four games in the tournament, including one against No. 3 Auburn, which has one loss this season. The Hoosiers will take on the Tigers on Friday night, following an afternoon game against a Georgia State team IU defeated earlier this year.

The tournament will conclude with IU playing Murray State on Saturday morning and Sunday morning. The Racers are 4-5 this year.

With three tournaments already under their belt, the Hoosiers have displayed strong pitching and timely hitting. IU Coach Michelle Gardner said she wants to see a more consistent offense moving forward, adding that over-swinging and poor pitch selection are the culprits for IU’s average of 3.6 runs per game.

“We just need to be a little more disciplined at the plate with those two things,” Gardner said. “They’re just trying a little too hard, but it’s going to come.”

The Hoosiers have been led by the freshman pitching duo of Josie Wood and Tara Trainer. Wood was named co-Big Ten Freshman of the Week last week after a dominating performance in Miami, and Trainer received the same award this week for her showing in Texas.

Wood and Trainer, along with redshirt freshman Emily Kirk, have combined to give IU an even 3.00 ERA through 14 games. Given the 6.95 ERA IU posted last year, Gardner said she is impressed and pleased with the rotation this season.

One impressive aspect of Trainer’s performance has been her composure in big games, as she has allowed just three runs in 10 innings against ranked teams. Gardner said she expects Trainer to start against Auburn, but all pitchers are always available.

“Auburn’s number three in the country, but Michigan’s number two and we have to play them too,” Gardner said. “So if we can continue to compete hard with these great teams, then we’ll be ready for the Big Ten.”

Following her four outings in Texas where she scattered just four runs, Trainer leads the way with a 2.49 ERA. Wood is close behind with a 2.88 ERA of her own. Following recent tournaments, both have said opportunistic offense has been key for providing run support.

Sophomore transfer Aimilia McDonough has sparked the offense after a recent lineup change. McDonough, a St. Louis native who spent her freshman year at Ole Miss, got no at-bats in the year’s first tournament.

When her chances began to come in the second tournament, she took advantage and recorded a hit in every game.

“It’s been different because last year I didn’t have much playing time, so I think I’m still settling in,” McDonough said. “I’m getting more and more comfortable with each at-bat.”

At the outset of the Texas tournament, Gardner moved her up to second in the lineup and she responded by going 5-6 in the first two games.

She has 10 hits in 21 at-bats, good for a team-high .476 batting average.

McDonough said she has plenty of faith in her new teammates as they prepare for the Big Ten season at the end of the month, even if they don’t believe in themselves just yet.

“We’re really good this year, and I think we don’t really know that yet,” McDonough said. “I don’t know that we’re going out there expecting to win every game, but we can.”