sports men's soccer

IU men's soccer adds forward transfer

The Hoosiers may have found a new starting forward in transfer Rashad Hyacenth from Belmont.

Hyacenth will have two years of eligibility remaining and is eligible to play next 
season.

“We are excited to have Rashad join our program,” IU Coach Todd Yeagley said in a press release. “Rashad possesses strong physical and technical qualities. He plays with passion and confidence and will be a great addition to our attack.”

With Ben Maurey graduating and Femi Hollinger-Janzen also graduating and now playing for the New England Revolution in Major League Soccer, IU lost the two players who played the majority of minutes at forward last season.

In Hyacenth, the Hoosiers receive a player who last year scored seven goals and was named second team All-Horizon League. His goal tally tied for second in the Horizon League.

He played in 18 games last season at Belmont with 16 starts.

There are now seven new players coming to Bloomington next season with Hyacenth joining a six-member recruiting class.

Two of the six incoming freshmen are also forwards.

The Hoosiers are returning nine starters from last year’s team that was knocked out against No. 1 Wake Forest in the third round of the NCAA Tournament.

Other than Hollinger-Janzen, the other starter not returning is graduating midfielder Matt Foldesy.

Sophomores Jordan Kleyn and Josh Lipe-Melton are the two forwards on the roster returning next season.

Kleyn played in parts of seven matches last season and Lipe-Melton has yet to make his debut for the Hoosiers.

“Rashad has scored some big goals over the past two seasons and we are excited to integrate Rashad into our program heading into the 2016 fall season,” Yeagley said.

Michael Hughes