weekend

Top 10 Super Bowl halftime shows since 1990

SPORTS FBN-SUPERBOWL-LOGO TNS

There are three kinds of people who watch the Super Bowl: Those who watch football, those who watch commercials, and those who watch for the halftime show.

Of course, you can be some combination of those categories, but chances are you’re in it more for one than you are the other two. Before I became a football fan, I didn’t watch the game or the commercials, I just watched the halftime show.

For years, the halftime show featured marching bands from across the country and the occasional celeb cameo. In the 1970s, Carol Channing was known to stop by, as well as Ella Fitzgerald, Andy Williams and Mercer Ellington. It wasn’t until the 1990s that popular acts began performing during halftime.

I’m sure many of you will remember the infamous 2004 show when Justin Timberlake accidentally revealed Janet Jackson’s right breast at the end of the set. That moment not only put “wardrobe malfunction” in everyone’s vocabulary, but it caused the network to play it safe, so to speak, with subsequent halftime acts.

Not that last year's Left Shark controversy was on par with Janet’s nipple ring, but I was hoping the 2016 show would give me an artist I could get behind after making me suffer through Katy Perry’s puzzling performance. I asked and the universe rewarded me with…Coldplay.

I’m a little more than skeptical. I mean, what have we done to deserve a Coldplay halftime show?

So to alleviate my pain and the eventual pain we’ll all feel when sitting through Sunday’s show, I’m taking a stroll down memory lane to relive some of the best halftime shows of recent years.

No. 10: The Blues Brothers (Dan Aykroyd, John Goodman and Jim Belushi), ZZ Top and James Brown, Jan. 26, 1997

I’m going to be honest with you, this was a terrible performance on the whole. But it stands out as one of the top 10 halftime shows because it’s 1) hilarious and 2) amazing that a non-musical act like the Blues Brothers could headline a halftime show years out of their prime and after the 1982 death of John Belushi, Jim’s older brother and the standout of the Not Ready for Prime Time Players. I’m into the shtick.

No. 9: Boyz II Men, Smokey Robinson, Martha Reeves, The Temptations and Queen Latifah, Jan. 25, 1998

To celebrate the 40th anniversary of Motown, they pulled out all the stops. Looking back at it now, it looks a little cheesy (it was 1998, after all), but it’s a solid performance. Queen Latifah is everything and Boyz II Men are great. Sure, Smokey Robinson is very obviously lip syncing, but he can get away with it. I’m into it.

No. 8: Aerosmith, 'N Sync, Britney Spears, Mary J. Blige, Nelly, Jan. 8, 2001

This is the perfect combination of teen idols and the Internet’s favorite grandma, Steven Tyler. How is it possible that after all the sex, drugs and rock n’ roll that Tyler’s voice is still that strong? And Joe Perry is still slaying? Let’s be honest though: we’re all here to see Joey Fatone dance.

No. 7: The Rolling Stones, Feb. 6, 2006

Maybe they’re a little old for the game’s target demographic, but everyone knows the Stones. Ballsy as ever, you can hear Mick Jagger’s mic get turned down at during the performance due to what some would deem to be racy lyrics during “Start Me Up.” If you’ve ever doubted Jagger’s status as one of the best rock frontmen in history, he certainly proved it at the Super Bowl — at age 62. Bonus points to anyone who can tell me how Keith Richards is still alive in 2016 (part two of the performance here).

No. 6: The Who, Feb. 7, 2010

Much like the Stones, Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend still got it. This is one of the first halftime shows I got really excited about. I was 15, sitting in awe by the TV and singing along to “Baba O’Reilly” and “Won’t Get Fooled Again.” It may have a fancy light show, but it doesn’t have intense choreography or unnecessary special guests. This is a solid rock performance if I’ve ever seen one.

No. 5: Prince, Feb. 4, 2007

It’s Prince. Enough said. I’m actually trying really hard not to make a “Purple Rain” joke, since it was raining during the whole performance.

No. 4: Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Feb. 1, 2009

What’s not to love about the Boss? His energy always matches that of the crowd, and it was obvious he wanted to get everything out of this performance he could. He’s hyping the crowd in the stadium and the viewers at home. Perhaps the most unforgettable moment of this performance: when he slides across the stage on his knees and hits the camera with his pelvic area. His reaction is priceless.

No. 3: Beyoncé, Feb. 3, 2013

I don’t have a single bad thing to say about this performance, really. It’s flawless. What else would you expect from Queen Bey? Plus, this performance blessed us with the Destiny’s Child reunion we all wanted. Maybe the audio could have been better on Kelly and Michelle’s mics. BONUS: those photos her publicist wanted taken down for being “unflattering.”

No. 2: U2, Feb. 3, 2002

In a performance dedicated to the victims of the Sept. 11 attacks, U2 delivered the right amount of emotion, optimism and solidarity. It’s a poignant moment when Bono opens his jacket at the end of the set and reveals the American flag in its lining. That, coupled with the display of the names of those lost, creates a powerful performance.

No. 1: Michael Jackson, Jan. 31, 1993

This was the moment the Super Bowl halftime show became a cultural phenomenon. This is often hailed as one of the most-watched moments in television history, and I can understand why — he stood motionless on stage for well over a minute before starting his set to let the crowd finish screaming. This man was the very definition of a superstar. Its cultural significance makes this performance the best of the bunch. They were making history, and they knew it.