Omega Phi Beta introduces first class

caomega

The Omega Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., the newest sorority chapter at IU, introduced themselves to the student body Friday with a meet-and-greet event at Forest 
Quadrangle.

OPBSI joined the Multi-Cultural Greek Council this semester, the first time it had ever been on campus.

While primarily known as a Latina-oriented sorority, chapter treasurer Deisy Lopez said the chapter is inclusive of all races.

“Hopefully, we can create more inclusiveness for diversity on campus,” she said.

At the event, which was open to the public, sisters and attendees listened to music, danced, played a variety of board games and ate free food.

Attendees were given the chance to mingle with sisters of the chapter, as well as learn about the ideals and goals of their sorority.

“This is a chance to come make up with old friends, as well as make new friends,” chapter president Anay 
Mayorga said.

Similar to other MCGC chapters on campus, OPBSI is rooted in activism, Lopez said.

The chapter has only a modest-sized ensemble of members with a total of six sisters.

Despite the small size of the chapter, sisterhood chair Mariana Cervantes said each of the six are determined to actively promote their cause for women.

The progressive ethics of the chapter have attracted sisters to join, Cervantes said. She said this emphasis on activism personally captured her interest.

“It’s a very diverse organization that challenged me to be myself,” Cervantes said.

Since OPBSI is new to the greek community, Mayorga said the chapter will be spending most of the semester getting its name out to other chapters.

“Our main focus for this semester is to just show our face and let people know we’re here,” she said.

However, she said she will also be using this semester to bring more awareness to violence against women. In order to do this, she said she will be putting together fundraisers and events throughout the 
semester.

In particular, Mayorga said she would like to put together “women empowerment” events, bringing in professors and advisers to discuss difficulties of females and minorities and how to overcome them.

Cervantes also said she hopes to put together a public panel discussion on the subject of violence against 
women. She said she hopes such a discussion can spark further ones among all genders and races on campus.

OPBSI has a motto: “A Beta woman is a better woman; not better than all women, just better than who she was 
before.”

Cervantes said the chapter delivers this motto concretely by providing a sense of community among its members. By being inclusive, it is easier for sisters to feel welcomed, regardless of race or gender.

“We emphasize helping each other and making sure everyone’s hopes and dreams come true,” Mayorga said.