McRobbie to receive 2016 International Citizen of the Year Award

IU President Michael McRobbie will receive the 2016 International Citizen of the Year Award at a dinner and ceremony Sept. 20 in the Indiana Roof Ballroom.

McRobbie is being presented the award, given to those who have contributed to Indiana’s globalization, following the creation of multiple international programs in his time as University president, according to an IU press release.

“The far-reaching impact Michael McRobbie’s leadership of Indiana University has had on our state’s international engagement is extraordinary,” IU Trustee James T. Morris said in the release. “We look forward to the opportunity to convey this richly deserved honor to Dr. McRobbie.”

The award, which was established in 1985, recognizes citizens who make signficant contributions through endeavors in business, culture, education, research, medicine, government, sports, media and community service.

Under McRobbie’s leadership, IU launched its first International Strategic Plan, created the new School of Global and International Studies and established the IU Global Gateway Network.

McRobbie has led University delegations to Africa, China, Germany, India, Japan, Saudi Arabia, South America, Southeast Asia and Turkey in recent years.

“As the state of Indiana celebrates its bicentennial this year and as IU prepares to mark its own bicentennial milestone four years from now, international engagement must be a core value for the University and all Hoosiers in a world that grows ever more globally interconnected and intertwined,” McRobbie said in the release.

The award, which has been presented to the likes of former Indiana governors Mitch Daniels and Robert Orr, is presented by the International Center, which aims to promote greater community awareness of international issues, according to the release.

“The International Center embraces diversity, passion, excellence and integrity as our values,” Morris said in the release. “It would be difficult if not impossible to find an individual in our state today who better exemplifies that set of values at home and abroad, better than Michael McRobbie.”

Other winners of the International Citizen of the Year Award include professors of practice former United States Sen. Richard Lugar and former Congressman Lee Hamilton, as well as Morris and fellow trustee Randall L. Tobias.

The IU-Kenya Partnership was honored with the award in 2008, according to the release, and distinguished professor Lawrence Einhorn received the award in 1997 after discovering a cure for testicular cancer.

McRobbie said in the release he was deeply honored to receive the award among some of “the nation’s greatest international citizens,” some of whom have “strong ties to Indiana University and its long history of international institutional engagement.”

“The International Center has given sustained leadership in this area for over 40 years,” McRobbie said in the release. “I’m extremely grateful for this award.”

Carley Lanich