Local musician scores 'The Good Catholic'

Zachary Walter lives in a farmhouse that dates back to the 1800s. His tools include a trash can lid and circular saw blade — but also a pump organ, guitars and other antique 
instruments.

Walter, a local composer, loves to use DIY instruments, he said. He recorded the saw blade, the trash can lid and the sound of stomping feet for his current 
project.

He’s charged with creating the score for “The Good Catholic,” which is being filmed in Bloomington and will star actors Danny Glover and John C. McGinley.

“I fell in love with the script, and I just started writing to it, not even knowing if the movie was going to happen or not,” he said.

Many film scores in modern movies are created synthetically, he said, but he wants to give his compositions a realness these lack.

“My goal, at least for this film, is to add as much human characteristic, in a very organic sense, as I can,” 
he said.

Previously, he said, he was a punk rock musician but felt the combination of film and music gave him an unparalleled ability to connect emotionally with an audience.

“I think it’s just a journey for the listener,” he said. “I feel that I can sort of take control of the audience.”

Because the film’s protagonist is a priest, Walter said he also gave the score an orchestral sound similar to the music of a Catholic Church.

In order to achieve this, he said he brought in a few local musicians to record.

Local cellist Hannah Groves of Duck Trash and Local Surfing did some tracking. Walter also brought in Jacobs School of Music master’s students John Punt and Christopher Armijo. Punt provided operatic vocals, and Armijo recorded his French horn.

“Everything he has me do seems very simple on the outset,” Armijo said. “Then it comes out as these, you know, really interesting and profound pieces of music.”

Walter said he’s glad he could surround himself with musicians and friends who can help out by recording their instruments.

“They have taught me so much as a young composer,” he said.

Walter, Armijo and the film’s screenwriter, Paul Shoulberg, all work at Bloomingfoods. Walter said the three met each other through the job.

Shoulberg and Walter’s first project together was a short film called “At Me Or With Me.” Pigasus Pictures, a film production company founded by IU grads, produced the short and will produce “The Good 
Catholic.”

Walter said Shoulberg loved his score for “At Me or with Me” so much he immediately gave him the screenplay for “The Good Catholic” about a year and a half ago.

The directors at Pigasus gave him ideas for the score, but ultimately left him a large creative license, 
he said.

“I’ve been bestowed such a unique opportunity,” he said.

Walter said he’s excited about the independent nature of the film. He, Shoulberg and Pigasus are relatively unknown, so their levels of collaboration are without expectation.

“Everyone’s inspiration and motivation basically helps bring this film to life,” he said.