License plates benefit state recycling programs

Region filler image

A new specialty license plate benefiting the Indiana Recycling Coalition is contributing to environmental programming around the state.

The plates display blue recycling arrows pointing to a map of Indiana, as well as the IRC’s website address.

The IRC is a nonprofit that focuses on waste reduction and recycling in Indiana.

The license plates became available during the last two weeks of January, IRC Executive Director Carey Hamilton said.

Eleven have been sold in the days since.

“We’re hopeful that every month we’ll have about a dozen sold,” Hamilton said.

For every license plate purchased, the IRC receives $25, Hamilton said.

Purchasing or renewing plates costs a total of $40, according to the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles.

The proceeds will go toward the Indianapolis-based organization’s recycling efforts and education, Hamilton said.

The Student Recycling Leadership Corps asks high school students, selected by application, to develop and measure the influence of recycling projects in their hometowns.

Students receive a scholarship for their contributions, Hamilton said.

The program is a collaboration with PepsiCo, Hamilton said.

Both PepsiCo and the state of Indiana have 50 percent goals for recycling waste.

PepsiCo’s goals include helping consumers recycle at least half of all beverage 
containers.

In 2014, Gov. Mike Pence signed House Bill 1183, which included a goal of recycling half of all municipal waste.

Proceeds from the license plates will also help the IRC educate Indiana residents about waste management.

The IRC’s current advocacy positions include solid waste management and food waste composting, according to their website.

Indiana residents can order the plates at myBMV.com or in person at license branches and other service locations, according to the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles’ website.

Hamilton said good recycling programs in communities contribute to quality of life, a healthy economy and the local environment.

“We hope that will be a sustainable source of income for years to come,” 
Hamilton said.