IFC intramurals adds point system to tournament

The Recreational Sports Fraternity Council is adding a competitive edge this semester to the ongoing Recreational Sports Hoosier Grail.

The Recreational Sports Hoosier Grail is an intramural sports competition occurring this semester among fraternities in the Interfraternity Council. The chapter that wins the competition is awarded the Hoosier Grail.

The idea to combine recreational sports and greek life came to RSFC president Sean Ndebele last spring semester when he was approached by members of IU Recreational Sports seeking to expand campus involvement with members of greek life, Ndebele said.

After agreeing to the offer, he spent the summer developing a constitution for RSFC. His even designed the trophy used for the Hoosier Grail himself.

“Overall, it was about 23 hours of work that I put in,” Ndebele said about his design.

As soon as the project was kick-started, Ndebele said he began recruiting new members for RSFC and the intramural teams with RSFC Vice President Kalvin Greer.

The new point system is designed around competitiveness and participation, Greer said. He said a member can earn points just by signing up.

All intramural sports count toward points. Players can earn more points by winning games and making it to the championship.

However, he said a lack of participation in the council or a lack of sportsmanship can cause the chapter to forfeit points.

“The system is designed to encourage people, but it can also hurt them if they don’t play or try to cheat,” Greer said.

Though the RSFC was established last semester, this will be the first semester the point system will be employed.

Additionally, several new sports, including soccer, softball and table tennis, will be added after spring break, Ndebele said.

He said the two biggest sports in the Hoosier Grail are basketball and futsal. The latter is basically indoor soccer, Ndebele said. Sixteen fraternities are competing in basketball, and eight are competing in futsal.

“In intramural sports, there is something for everyone,” Ndebele said.

Thirty-two chapter representatives and 21 fraternity houses make up the intramural teams, Greer said.

“Anyone in a chapter house has an opportunity to play the sports and show their abilities,” Greer said.

Greer said the RSFC is planning on including other non-IFC fraternities to join the intramural games.

“We want this to be all-inclusive of anything greek-wise,” he said.

The Hoosier Grail is a traveling trophy. When another chapter wins, that chapter will eceive the trophy.

Greer said winners will also receive a plaque on the wall in their chapter, as well as a $500 donation to a chapter’s choice philanthropic organization and a pizza party from Bucceto’s Smiling Teeth.

“I wanted to do something to give back to the greek system,” Greer said.

IU is not the first fraternity to have greek life intramural sports on a competitive level, Ndebele said. He said he designed RSFC after similar programs at universities like Purdue University, Northwestern University and Penn State University.

For those who love sports and are part of greek life, Greer said RSFC is a great organization to join this semester.

“I thought it was a cool idea and something I wished I had when I was younger,” Greer said.