Tuesday, March 19

Humane Association raises money with Spirits

Julie Warren and Jennifer Cassidy sipped chocolate-flavored drinks in the distillery room of Cardinal Spirits Monday evening — a little “hair of the dog” to support dogs in 
Bloomington.

The Monroe County Humane Association partnered with one-year-old distillery Cardinal Spirits for a chocolate-and-booze-infused fundraiser.

Warren and Cassidy, who support and have volunteered with the Humane Association, said they appreciated the event’s 
creativity.

“It’s combining three things I really like: the people ... the cause and Cardinal Spirits,” Warren said.

“It’s a win-win-win,” Cassidy agreed.

The pair spent the night sampling cocoa liquor as part of the humanitarian-based Week of Chocolate by LIFEDesigns. LIFEDesigns is an Indiana disability resource organization that has sponsored to the chocolate-themed events for the last 15 years.

The $25 entry fee 
included a tour and lecture on the intricacies of distilling liquor by bar manager Logan Hunter, as well as a free drink voucher and chocolate sweets.

The Humane Association of Monroe County’s event was its first in the annual Week of Chocolate, Events and Communications Coordinator Kimberly Goy said in an email.

Rebecca Warren, executive director of the Human Association, said Monday also marked the beginning of a week of fundraising competition with the Humane Society in Lafayette, Indiana.

In order to “be fair and be a good sport,” the Hair of the Dog funds won’t count toward the fundraising competition, Rebecca Warren said.

Rebecca Warren said Monroe County wants to raise $1,000 for a mobile clinic to treat pets of the homeless, using funds raised during this week.

The proceeds from entry, drinks and the small silent auction Monday night added up to about $500, 
she said.

If they reach the $1000 goal, the mobile clinic could vaccinate and chip about 50 animals.

“If they’re not vaccinated, they could be at risk of spreading disease, and if they’re not chipped, they could tend to get lost,” Rebecca Warren said. “If they’re microchipped, at least we can make sure they get back.”

According to the Monroe County association’s press release, the winner of the fundraising competition will be announced at halftime at the IU vs. Purdue game Feb. 20.

Cassidy, who adopted all three of her dogs from the Monroe County Humane Association, said she’s glad Bloomington supports community efforts to care for animals.

“They’re doing a good job of getting necessary things to the people that need it,” Cassidy said.

Hunter created three chocolate-infused mixed drinks for the fundraiser Monday night.

Julie Warren tried a “Coco & Cream,” made with hot chocolate and vodka.

“It’s totally like chocolate milk, it’s delicious,” she said, while Cassidy commended the brandy-based “Alexander A L’Orange.”

Hunter demonstrated mixing techniques for the three drinks, the last of which was a Chocolate Martini, and sent the guests home with recipe cards to recreate the cocktails.

“It’s fun to come in and see how they mix flavors together,” Julie Warren said. “The bonus is that you’re raising money for a good cause.”