Feminist Student Association to debut "Vagina Monologues"

Kayla Tillisch, right , director of the Vagina Monologues, guides the role of Heather Wesner during a rehearsal of the play on Wednesday at Woodburn Hall. The Vagina Monologues will be played on Feb 12-14 at Woodburn Hall Room 100.

In New Jersey, they call it a twat.

Pussycat, coochie, cooter, monkeybox. The IU Feminist Student Association’s production of Eve Ensler’s 1996 play, “The Vagina Monologues,” begins with a list of nicknames for the vagina, euphemisms for the most taboo part of the female anatomy.

“It’s a show everyone needs to see,” Monologues Director and IU junior Kayla Tillisch said. “It speaks to 
everyone.”

“The Vagina Monologues” is a collection of monologues inspired by interviews Ensler conducted with thousands of women about their vaginas. The monologues range from humorous to dramatic, covering topics such as pubic hair, rape and masturbation.

“They’re all important, and all very different,” Tillisch said. “The show is 20 years old, but it’s still very relevant.”

The FSA’s production is part of the V-Day Campaign, an annual movement started by Ensler to combat violence against women. Every Valentine’s Day weekend, Ensler gives free access to her script to productions that agree to donate their proceeds to local charities.

Ticket sales from the FSA’s performance, as well as 
proceeds from the sale of posters, T-shirts and chocolate vulva pops, will benefit the Bloomington Middle Way House.

Although the FSA puts on “The Vagina Monologues” every year, Tillisch said each iteration of the show is 
different.

“There’s totally new voices, new perspectives,” she said. “Last year’s production was more minimalist, while this year’s is more 
experimental. It’s different every time.”

The current play features a new monologue about a transgender woman titled, “They beat the girl out of the boy.” Tillisch said the monologue is extremely relevant to current discussions of gender politics.

Producer Carmen Vernon said that although Ensler’s original script does primarily focus on white and cisgender perspectives, the FSA wants to make the V-Day campaign accessible to anyone. Members of the Bloomington community are invited to share their own stories about their bodies at 10 p.m. this Saturday at the Bishop.

Tillisch individualized this year’s show by inviting all of the cast members to choose songs to play during transitions between monologues. Selections included “Girls Just Want to Have Fun” by Cyndi Lauper and “Run the World (Girls)” by Beyonce.

Tillisch was inspired to direct “The Vagina Monologues” based on her previous experience in the play.

“The show impacted me a lot when I was in it last year,” Tillisch said. “I was never outwardly feminist. I never considered talking about my vagina, but the show made me realize it’s silly to think it’s embarrassing.”

Tillisch said that before acting in “The Vagina Monologues,” she thought the show was radical and one-sided. She said she hopes to combat the play’s stigma by approaching it with authenticity so that the monologues are sympathetic.

“You may not agree with the politics behind it, but watching the play is an experience that allows you to learn and grow,” Vernon said.