Committee named to seek dean of students successor

Pete Goldsmith

A committee has been named to identify candidates for the IU vice provost for student affairs and dean of students position, after Harold “Pete” Goldsmith announced his retirement last month.

Goldsmith will retire June 30, after serving as the campus vice provost and dean of students since 2009, according to an IU press release.

Provost and Executive Vice President Lauren Robel appointed Dennis Groth, vice provost for undergraduate education at IU-Bloomington, to chair the new committee seeking Goldsmith’s 
replacement.

The committee will be made up of 15 members of the IUB community, including representatives from the IU Health Center, the IU Police Department, the Bloomington Faculty Council, the IU Student Association and more.

Jacqueline Cushman, a project specialist for the Office of the Provost, and Christy Moore, an executive assistant in the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education, will serve as search support for the committee.

The vice provost and dean leads IU’s Division of Student Affairs, which “supports the academic mission of the campus through student advocacy, services and programs that create and support a campus climate of responsible citizenship and excellence,” according to the release.

Robel said the Division of Student Affairs, where 
Goldsmith served as a dean, touches every student.

“We are so grateful to Pete Goldsmith for his deep dedication to fostering a culture of care on this campus,” Robel said in the release. “The next vice provost and dean will build on this foundation and will play a central role in ensuring that our campus provides a diverse and inclusive environment that promotes academic success and ethical behavior.”