Benefit concert to feature choreography by dancer Kuribayashi

entpilobolus

Students gathered around professional dancer Jun Kuribayashi in a mirrored dance studio of the School of Public Health on Wednesday as he taught a master class featuring movements from the upcoming show “Love Songs for a Lasting World.”

Dance partners smiled and laughed as they performed Kuribayashi’s choreography, which included a movement that involves lifting up another dancer over one’s head.

“I’ve done hundreds of 
master classes all over the world, and I have to say they’re so open and energetic, and they bring so much enthusiasm to it,” Kuribayashi said about the students. “They’re super game, and that’s important for any project in life.”

Kuribayashi is visiting Bloomington for the debut of his choreography in the Middle Way House benefit concert, “Love Songs For a Lasting World,” and he taught master classes to contemporary dance students Monday and Wednesday.

“Love Songs for a Lasting World” is a Valentine’s Day event including a combination of music, dance, poetry, comedy and a
singing processional to a bonfire and homemade pie.

The show features music by hammer dulcimer player Malcolm Dalglish and his folk choir group the Ooolites, which features IU students and faculty. The event is from 5 to 7 p.m. Sunday at the 
Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

All proceeds go to 
Middle Way House.

Kuribayashi has performed with groups such as the modern dance company Pilobolus Dance Theater, and he currently has his own dance company called Hybridmotion.

Tango dancer Mia Dalglish, who is Malcolm Dalglish’s daughter and Kuribayashi’s girlfriend, wrote the choreography in collaboration with him.

Kuribayashi said his dance style is “dynamic modern,” and he uses improvisation.

“I try to leave enough room in the choreography so people can make their own interpretation of the dance,” Kuribayashi said. “That’s why I don’t necessarily tell people what my choreography is about.”

He said his choreography for “Love Songs for a Lasting World” is a duet about a delicate heartbeat.

“It’s a song from the heart about the heart, literally,” Kuribayashi said. “There’s a lot of kind of Rorschach-inspired 
movement.”

Kuribayashi said he introduced some of the dance moves at the master classes to inspire students and give them a taste of what it takes to be a dancer.

Middle Way House volunteer Anna Strout said Kuribayashi’s dances are about being mindful of one’s own body.

It’s about seeing and doing the impossible, Strout said, and he can teach people with no dance training how to flip someone over their head.

“This is about not giving into your fear, basically,” Strout said.

“Love Songs for a Lasting World” marries what is happening at the academic level with what is happening in the community, Strout said.

The event raises awareness of domestic violence.

“It’s really a testament to the power of music and the power of dance to bring people together to rally around a cause,” 
Strout said.

Kuribayashi said he enjoys Dalglish’s music and artistic talent featured in the program.

“It’s basically a menagerie of incredible vocalists and talents, and his music is just so beautiful and artful,” Kuribayashi said. “It’s a show that everyone should bring their loved ones to.”