weekend

I can't wait to believe again

The first time I watched “The X-Files” I had nightmares for a month. I was about 10 years old, and my dad decided it was time for me to find the truth.

It was the second episode of the fourth season, but we decided it was fine if I just watched this episode without any previous knowledge. I wish I would have known what I was getting into.

What I was getting into was “Home,” the first “X-Files” episode to be aired with a viewer discretion warning for violence, and the only episode to be rated TV-MA upon broadcast.

I was scared to death and couldn’t 
make it all the way through episode. For 10 years I didn’t return to “The X-Files” — until this summer. Then I realized how much I loved it.

I love everything from Scully’s “Oh my God” shouts to the veiled references and jokes at David Duchovny’s soft-core pornography career.

And of course there’s the overtly sexual tension between Mulder and Scully, and the times they finally did hook up, but it was either a dream sequence or someone else was occupying Mulder’s body at the time.

I love the conspiracy and the monsters of the week.

I remember the first episode I watched when I knew I was going to love “The X-Files.” It was the third episode of the first season, and it had no real connection to the over-arching plot about Mulder’s sister or the general conspiracy.

But everything about “Squeeze” was incredible. That’s how most monster-of-the-week episodes are.

Even without a link to the plot line that kept the series going for nine seasons the first time around, they’re still amazing and captivating.

I love the title sequence and “The Smoking Man.” Seriously, if you can’t appreciate and understand “The Smoking Man” then I have some words to yell at you.

I love Walter Skinner, the assistant director, and his infatuation with Scully he knows will never be realized.

I love how the plot line involving Mulder’s sister changed too many times to count, and while I know the last three to four seasons weren’t great, I love those too.

But most of all, I love having every part of my body feeling terrified. I remember when the time came last summer where I had to watch “Home” the second time.

I remember texting one of my friends as it was happening, and her telling me to turn the television off because she couldn’t understand that while I was terrified, I
 loved it.

I can’t wait for that feeling to return. I can’t wait for the potential nightmares and wondering if there’s some creature lurking in my shower drain.

But most of all, I can’t wait to believe again.

@MichaelHughes94