Hoosier track and field dominate IU Relays

WomenWeightThrow

On Friday and Saturday, IU track and field competed against the IU Relays, the second-to-last home indoor meet of the year. It was another solid weekend for both the men’s and women’s team at Gladstein Fieldhouse.

Sophomore Daniel Kuhn was the highlight of the weekend yet again. Kuhn already broke the school record for the 800 meter run the previous weekend at the Rod McCravy Memorial Track Meet.

On Friday, less than a full week later, Kuhn broke the school record for the 600 meter run. His 1:16.91 time was one second shy of the collegiate record and less than one second shy of the Gladstein Fieldhouse record.

“He’s an athlete, he’s a freak of nature,” senior Cornelius Strickland said. “I was just talking to him earlier about how he just doesn’t slow down. That’s my little brother right there.”

Strickland had a solid meet as well, winning the 200 meter dash Friday, a race he described as his strong suit.

Senior Terry Batemon won the pole vault, with a jump of 5.06 meters.

Redshirt junior Carl Smith finished second in the 5000 meter run with a season-best 14:42.58.

Two performances from freshmen caught the eye of IU Coach Ron Helmer on Friday: thrower Willie Morrison and jumper Treyton Harris.

Morrison moved into fourth in school history in shot put with his winning throw of 18.63 meters. Harris jumped 7.44 meters, a new career high, en route to winning the long jump.

“Those kids especially, they just keep coming,” Helmer said. “Young people starting to do some very good things makes us very excited about what our future is going to look like.”

For the women’s team Friday, junior Ari Nelson finished in third in the long jump, with a career high 6.06 meter jump.

Junior Chanli Mundy won the 5000 meter run. The Hoosiers took the top two spots in the 600 meter run.

Sophomore Kendell Wiles won in 1:31.47, a season best and good for sixth in school history.

Redshirt junior Taylor Wiley finished in second. IU also won the distance medley, finishing over 14 seconds in front of second-place Louisville.

On Saturday, sophomore Brenna Calder finished in second in the one mile run, but was the top collegiate finisher with a season-best 4:50.67.

The Hoosiers dominated what Helmer described as a weak field in the 3000 meter run. Sophomore Katherine Receveur, redshirt sophomore Corrine Cominator, freshman Kelsey Harris and junior Madison Stenger finished one through four, respectively.

Junior Danielle Quinn won the triple jump with a 12.45 meter jump, good for third in school history and second in the Big Ten this season.

Redshirt junior Nakel McClinton broke the school record for weight throw, which she set at the IU-Tennessee dual meet with a throw of 20.72 meters.

“I’m really proud of (McClinton) because she’s grown pretty well in some difficult situations,” Helmer said. “She fought through some things and is really learning how to compete when there’s a little bit of pressure, a little bit of things going wrong. If she can continue to do that, her confidence is again going to grow, and if her confidence grows in difficult situations, then she should be really really good when it’s money time.”

The men’s team saw a strong performance in the one mile run on Saturday. Senior Rorey Hunter finished in third but was the top collegiate finisher. His time of 4:04.45 is a season best.

Four Hoosiers in the race placed in the top 15 times in the nation this season: Hunter, redshirt sophomore Kyle DuVall and redshirt juniors Jason Crist and Matt Schwartzer.

Redshirt senior Owen Skeete won the 3000 meter run in a season-best 8:13.03. Wrapping up the meet, IU finished second in the men’s 4x400 relay. Redshirt senior Markevious Roach made up a sizeable gap at the end to finish just ahead of Alabama.

Next weekend, IU will compete in the Meyo Invitational at Notre Dame.