Tuesday, March 19

Blackmon Jr. to undergo knee surgery

Sophomore guard James Blackmon, Jr. shakes hands with his dad James Blackmon, Sr. before the game against Duke on Dec. 2 at Cameron Indoor Stadium in Durham.

IU sophomore guard James Blackmon Jr. will have surgery on his right knee Tuesday afternoon, according to an IU Athletics release.

The exact period of time Blackmon Jr. will be sidelined is unknown, but IU Athletics said he will miss at least the entirety of this season.

Blackmon Jr. injured his knee last week in practice, keeping him from playing in the Hoosiers’ first two conference games.

“This is a very tough outcome for our Indiana team, but most importantly for James,” IU Coach Tom Crean said in the release. “He is establishing himself as one of the most elite guards in the country this season.”

The second-leading scorer on the team, Blackmon Jr. was averaging 15.8 points per game, ranked 10th in the Big Ten. He is third in the conference in three-point field goals made per game with 2.8.

“I feel terrible for him and he has a tough road ahead of him, but it is one he has been down before and we fully believe that this process will lead him to have an incredible future in the game at Indiana and well beyond,” Crean said in the release. “We look forward to helping him with his full recovery and I know he appreciates everyone’s thoughts, prayers and concerns.”

Blackmon Jr. had surgery on his left knee this past summer, which kept him out of some summer workouts, but had fully recovered, according to the release.

Grace Palmieri