Lil Wayne to perform at IU spring semester

Rapper Lil Wayne will perform on March 3, 2016, in Assembly Hall. The rapper has not performed in Bloomington since performing for the Litttle 500 concert in 2011.

IU announced Tuesday that rapper Lil Wayne will perform at Assembly Hall next semester.

The concert, set for 7 p.m. Thursday, March 3, 2016, is part of Lil Wayne’s “The Dedication” tour, according to a press release. The tour is meant to show appreciation for fans in the cities Lil Wayne has rarely visited in the past.

The last time Lil Wayne performed at IU was in 2011 for the Little 500 concert, Union Board Director of Music James Diamond said. That show was in Assembly Hall as well.

Macklemore’s Little 500 concert was the last show performed in Assembly Hall before it underwent construction, Diamond said, so this concert will give newer students a chance to 
experience the venue.

“For a lot of students on campus, this will be the first Assembly Hall show that they’ll have access to,” he said.

Managing Director of IU Auditorium Maria Talbert said bringing a big name like Lil Wayne to IU involves a lot of intricate planning but said his previous show here helped facilitate that.

“We are lucky that we had such an incredible engagement the last time Lil Wayne performed here because it made it a place he was really excited to return to,” Talbert said in an email.

Lil Wayne’s real name is Dwayne Michael Carter Jr., and he is from New Orleans, according to the release. He was signed to Birdman’s Cash Money Records at age 11 and is now the CEO of Young Money 
Entertainment.

His latest mixtape, “No Ceilings 2,” was released November 26.

Lil Wayne will be accompanied by trap and hip-hop duo Rae Sremmurd, which is composed of brothers Khalif “Swae Lee” and Aaquil “Slim Jimmy” Brown. They are best known for singles “No Flex Zone” and “No Type,” according to the release.

Talbert said she hopes this will be a concert students are thrilled to have the opportunity to see.

“We are always looking for great events to present, particularly ones that the IUB student body will be excited about and are grateful for our Union Board and Live Nation partners who helped make it possible to bring Lil Wayne back to the Bloomington campus,” she said in an email.

Diamond said Rae Sremmurd brings new and upcoming hip-hop. Teaming up with a more established name in the genre like Lil Wayne makes for a good combination.

“Lil Wayne is known as one of the best rappers in a lot of circles,” Diamond said. “So bringing someone that’s that talented and that notable, of course it’s going to bring a large crowd.”

The concert is presented by Union Board and Live Nation. IU students may purchase tickets during the limited-time pre-sale starting at 10 a.m. Thursday, according to the release. They will be available to the 
public at 10 a.m. Friday.

Ticket prices range between $25 and $89.50, plus fees. More information about purchasing them will be available Wednesday on the event’s page at iuauditorium.com, according to the release.