IU holds on to defeat Indiana State 53-50

Sophomore guard Tyra Buss loses the ball as she goes for a layup against Indiana State. Buss led the Hoosiers in scoring with 15 points against the Sycamores, helping IU improve its record to 6-2.

With 3:07 remaining in the third quarter, all was going well for the Hoosiers. Sophomore guard Tyra Buss converted on a layup to give IU a comfortable twelve point lead and allow for some breathing room in IU Coach Teri Moren’s Indiana State homecoming.

Then the Hoosiers stopped making shots.

After Buss’ layup, IU would miss its next 13 shots from the floor and turn the ball over five times in the fourth quarter alone. The Sycamores consistently cut the deficit throughout the final frame before sophomore forward Ashley Taia attempted a potential game-winning 3-pointer with six seconds remaining.

Taia’s shot bounced off the inside part of the rim, though, and Moren could finally exhale. IU had survived, 53-50, on the road against in-state rival Indiana State.

“We squeaked out of here with a victory tonight,” Moren said. “I’m disappointed that we had a difficult time scoring down the stretch. It’s always nice to get wins, but we have to learn something from this. We’re walking out of here lucky.”

Indiana State called a timeout with 15 seconds remaining as IU led 52-50. Sophomore forward Ashley Taia of Indiana State, who scored a game-high 21 points, ended up missing the 3-pointer before teammate and senior guard Alexis Newbolt grabbed the rebound underneath the basket. Newbolt’s layup was too soft off the glass, and 6-foot-3 junior center Jenn Anderson grabbed the defensive rebound in traffic to seal the game.

“No threes,” Buss said of the final play. “We needed to lock up on Ashley Taia — she was their hot shooter tonight. We needed to make sure that we guarded her by communicating and fighting through screens.”

IU led 33-21 at halftime courtesy of ten points each from Buss and sophomore forward Amanda Cahill. The duo was able to remain effective throughout the third frame before a mistake-filled fourth quarter. The Hoosiers weren’t able to create the same shots that they made in the first 
twenty minutes of play.

“We came out with a lot of energy, but late in the game we panicked a little,” Buss said. “We played hard but we have to learn a lot from this. We have to take care of the ball and stay calm. We got late in the shot clock a lot and didn’t get many good looks, that’s when we need to calmly 
attack the basket.”

The Hoosiers turned the ball over 18 times against the Sycamores. Turnovers have plagued IU in its non-conference schedule. The Hoosiers turned the ball over a combined 44 times against DePaul and IU-Purdue University Fort Wayne.

“Any time you take bad shots and turn the ball over, it gives the opposing team an opportunity to run out,” Moren said. “That’s what happened and we have to clean that up. I’m disappointed — there were moments where we were careless with the basketball.”

On Tuesday night in Terre Haute, Indiana, the Hoosiers avenged a 65-61 overtime loss that was suffered last season at home. Last year’s loss was similar to this year’s game, as IU blew a seven-point halftime lead to the Sycamores in Moren’s first game against her former team.

“Last year, I think they just wanted to come in here and beat me,” Moren said. “There’s a bit of motivation from that. That’s all in fun. I think they just expect to win. I don’t think it matters if it’s Indiana or Butler next week. I didn’t expect anything less than what we got, and that was their best tonight.”

IU improved to 6-2 on the season as they begin to finish a treacherous non-conference slate. The Hoosiers will return home to Assembly Hall on Friday to face Samford before playing University of Miami and West Virginia in the Florida Sunshine Classic on December 20th and 21st, 
respectively.