sports wrestling

Hoosiers prepare for three weekend matches

Sophomore Cole Weaver works an opponent in the 141 lbs weight class.

The IU wrestling team has a busy weekend, with three matches in a period of three days, both home and away.

The Hoosiers (1-0) will travel to Minnesota (4-4) for a match Friday only to return for two matches at home Sunday against Eastern Michigan (5-1) and Manchester (0-5).

The team last faced Eastern Michigan in 2012, Minnesota in 2014, and Manchester last season. IU finished 2-1 in those three matches, including a blowout win of 47-6 against 
Manchester last season.

Playing three matches in as many days brings new challenges, including 
multiple weigh-ins.

IU Coach Duane Goldman said having to make weight twice in one weekend is an added challenge this weekend. He said this is something that will have to happen again at the Big Ten championships, which are two consecutive days, as well as at Nationals, which are three straight days.

Despite these challenges, the wrestlers are striving to achieve individual goals and win big matches.

“We just have to show up and wrestle,” Goldman said. “I think every one of our guys has something to shoot for and something to 
accomplish out there.”

In these early dual matches, coming away with good results is important for the players’ confidence as the season progresses further into Big Ten play and the postseason.

“Confidence wise, it is very important,” sophomore Luke Blanton said. “For some of the guys possibly getting ranked, these first ones are huge, I know Elijah is getting up there.”

Freshman Elijah Oliver is 8-1 this season, and his ability to use his quickness at vital moments has led to some of that success.

Blanton said Oliver is a freak athlete who knows when he needs to kick it to another gear. When it is time to get to that extra gear, he does it, Blanton said.

Opening Big Ten play Friday brings added team energy and provides 
experience to the young wrestlers.

Goldman said Big Ten matches are always a little more interesting and Minnesota always brings a great crowd. The environment, on top of the first Big Ten match of the season, will bring a good experience for the 
underclassman, he said.

Despite the youth of the Hoosiers, Goldman expects the team to battle hard.

“They’re going to get a good taste of Big Ten wrestling, but we’re also a part of it,” Goldman said. “We expect to go out there and battle in the same tradition that the conference 
demands.”

This will be a challenging weekend for the team as the Hoosiers face two nationally ranked squads and have three matches in a 72-hour period. The two home matches will start at 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. in the University Gym.

“They need to approach it with the idea of going and getting it,” Goldman said. “They need to step on the mat and take the win.”