COLUMN: Kobe Bryant is the closest we've seen to Michael Jordan

Being born in 1994, I was never given the opportunity to watch Michael Jordan play.

However, I was grateful enough to watch Kobe Bryant lace up his shoes every night, which in my opinion is the closest version to Jordan I could have asked for growing up.

But this Sunday night, the 17-time All-Star announced his retirement to the game of basketball, via a poem he wrote for the 
Players’ Tribune:

“Dear basketball,

From the moment

I started rolling my dad’s tube socks

And shooting imaginary

Game-winning shots

In the Great Western 
Forum

I knew one thing was real:

I fell in love with you.”

Many kids grow up with the dream of one day playing in the NBA. They watch their favorite players play on television and try to mimic their moves in their 
driveway.

I know, at least for me, “Kobe” is the first thing I would yell before attempting to shoot a piece of paper into the trash can, just like Bryant did with his father’s tube socks.

Kobe grew up loving the game while providing the kids who looked up to him — like me — a love for the game as well.

“A love so deep I gave you my all —

From my mind & body

To my spirit and soul.

As a six-year-old boy

Deeply in love with you

I never saw the end of the tunnel.

I only saw myself

Running out of one.”

Now in his twentieth season, Bryant, wearing the same purple and gold jersey, has run out of the same tunnel inside the STAPLES center, which is an NBA record for most seasons with one franchise.

“And so I ran.

I ran up and down every court

After every loose ball for you.

You asked for my hustle

I gave you my heart

Because it came with so much more.”

Through the years, Bryant has come out saying that many people have had an influence on him while in the league, but none more than Jordan.

Bryant was able to develop a close relationship with him and called Jordan his “big brother.” For a young rising star in the NBA, being able to be mentored by the player he looked up to most had to be very special for Bryant.

In fact, if you place video sequences of Bryant and Jordan next to each other, you could hardily tell the difference.

Bryant has said he modeled his game after Jordan, and if you look closely at the letter Jordan wrote when he retired in 2003, Bryant may have modeled his farewell off his childhood hero as well.

“I played through the sweat and hurt

Not because challenge called me

But because YOU called me.

I did everything for YOU

Because that’s what you do

When someone makes you feel as

Alive as you’ve made me feel.”

I have watched just about every game Jordan has ever played, and I can honestly say no one quite dominated the game like Bryant did during his time in Los 
Angeles.

Games like Bryant’s 81 points against the Toronto Raptors in 2006 or his 65-point output in 2007 against the Portland Trail Blazers helps you understand why Bryant is the only person to ever really be compared to the great 
Michael Jordan.

Bryant’s 32,683 career points rank third all-time in NBA history and first all-time in Lakers history.

“You gave a six-year old boy his Laker dream

And I’ll always love you for it.

But I can’t love you obsessively for much longer.

This season is all I have left to give.

My heart can take the pounding

My mind can handle the grind

But my body knows it’s time to say goodbye.

And that’s OK.”

Regardless of how hard someone works, there is always one opponent that — no matter how great he is — he can never quite beat: time.

In the past few seasons, we have seen time get the best of Bryant over and over again.

After playing just six games in 2013 before tearing his Achilles, Bryant’s field goal percentage dropped significantly. In 2014, he shot .373 percent from the field. It was the first time it had fallen under .400 in his career.

This year, he is shooting a career-low .305 percent.

“I’m ready to let you go.

I want you to know now

So we can both savor every moment we have left

together.

The good and the bad.

We have given each other

All that we have.”

Nevertheless, these past few seasons will not define the career of one of the best to have ever picked up a 
basketball.

His 17 All-Star appearances are good for second all-time, and his nine first-team all-defensive selections are tied for most in NBA history.

He is the all-time leader in points, games, minutes, field goals, free throws, steals and turnovers in Los Angeles Lakers history.

He also has five NBA 
Finals rings.

However, what I’ll always remember is when the game was on the line, everyone watching knew who was 
taking the final shot.

“And we both know, no matter what I do next

I’ll always be that kid

With the rolled up socks

Garbage in the corner

:05 seconds on the clock

Ball in my hands.

5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ... 1

Love you always,

Kobe”

Kobe said this past summer he reached out to one player to let him know about his retirement plan: Michael Jordan.

“No matter what, enjoy it,” Jordan said. “Don’t let anyone take that away from you.”

I’ll always remember watching the Lakers vs. Wizards game in 2003 — the last time Jordan and Kobe played against each other. Jordan was at the end of his career, while Bryant was ready to be handed the torch.

Bryant was the closest thing I could get to seeing Jordan play. Perhaps LeBron James is the closest thing this generation will get to seeing Bryant.

Although it seems like the torch was passed to James a while ago, this season will conclude another historic career in the NBA.

For the future Hall of Famer, Bryant has 66 games left where he will run out of the tunnel and wear that purple and gold jersey.

So make sure you get one good last look.

micbhern@indiana.edu