sports field hockey

Six athletes sign letters of intent to IU

The IU field hockey team officially added six new Hoosiers to its program on National Signing Day on Wednesday. The Hoosier signing class of 2016 includes Kelsey Giese from Perkiomen Valley High School in Trappe, Pennsylvania; Ciara Girouard from West Deptford High School in West Deptford, New Jersey; Jessica Morford from Shaker Heights High School in Shaker Heights, Ohio; Sam Scire from Wall High School in Wall, New Jersey; Grace Sensenig from Ephrata High School in Ephrata, Pennsylvania; and Marley Tunnell from Hershey High School in Hershey, Pennsylvania.

All of the signees come to IU with a number of accolades to their credit already. Giese was a three-time Offensive Spark award winner while recording 61 goals and 38 assists for the Perkiomen Valley Vikings. Giese earned an All-Star award at the Hoosier Field Hockey Camp in July alongside future teammate Scire.

Scire stayed committed to Coach Amanda Janney throughout the coach’s switch to IU. A former Temple commit, Scire de-committed and ended up choosing IU when Janney made the change. After setting a school record with 113 goals, Scire has the ability to make an immediate difference for the Hoosiers in her first season.

Janney was able to land the MVP from her summer camp with her signing Girouard. The three-time South Jersey Group 2 champion is a tall and feisty athlete who isn’t afraid to run over somebody, Janney said. Girouard played club hockey with the South Jersey Edge who went on to win the 2014 U19 National Hockey Festival Championship and earned a No. 13 national ranking in 2015.

A trio of midfielders round out the signing class with Morford, Sensenig and Tunnell. Janney referred to all of these players as athletic and hard working. Morford was First Team All-Ohio while earning a state championship in 2014. Sensenig led the Ephrata Mountaineers to two consecutive Lancaster Lebanon Section 2 Championships in her junior and senior season and hails from the same school as senior forward Rachel Stauffer.

Tunnell, out of Hershey, Pennsylvania, comes from one of the best high school field hockey programs in the nation. Tunnell started three seasons at Hershey and also brings valuable club experience winning the Disney Showcase Pluto Flight Championship with the Alley Cats in 2014.