Plenty is on the line as IU takes on Purdue

Quarterback Nate Sudfeld passes the ball during the against Michigan on Saturday at Memorial Stadium. The Hoosiers lost in double overtime, 41-48.

The significance of this final game of the season does not solely come down to a rivalry or a bowl berth. The significance of the Saturday matchup between IU and Purdue can be found in comments made in July by senior left tackle Jason Spriggs.

“This is big," Spriggs said of his final season. "This is the reason that I came to Indiana. To be a part of the team that turned the program around.”

While IU Coach Kevin Wilson always says that a bowl game is not the end goal, it is hard to deny that Saturday’s game represents several tensions colliding in one contest.

There is the goal of beating rival Purdue. There is attempting to ensure a 6-6 season and, in turn, a bowl berth. And there is the question of whether Wilson’s five years at the helm of IU football is turning the program around and producing tangible results.

Wilson has put together recruiting classes that experts consider to be some of the best in program history. He sold prospects on the idea of bringing success to IU football during their time in Bloomington, as seen by Spriggs’ comments.

Saturday is the chance to bring some portion of those successes into fruition. Wilson has said it is a good group and one that can keep itself motivated without needing coaches to do it.

“My only frustration has been seeing the way they've worked, prepared, sacrificed, the effort they give not to have more of those rewards,” Wilson said.

After its first 4-0 start in 25 years, IU lost six straight Big Ten games. Four of those losses were to teams ranked in the top-15, and each loss — besides Penn State — was in reach during the fourth quarter.

Wilson says he doesn’t know about moral victories, but he and senior quarterback Nate Sudfeld have looked at those performances as proof IU can play with the best of them.

And when IU fell behind 21-3 last Saturday at Maryland, Wilson said it was some of the veterans that kept IU focused. He gave credit to seniors like linebacker Zack Shaw, defensive linemen Nick Mangieri and Adarius Rayner as well as junior defensive lineman Darius Latham for keeping the team focused on the sideline in the comeback victory.

“Coach Wilson keeps saying we’re the guys, the one,” Sudfeld said. “My class is kind of the class that he fully recruited. Everybody in this class is guys he wanted. I think he takes pride in that.”

Therefore, Wilson’s first class that is full of prospects he recruited is also the one that has created what he considers to be his tightest team.

After bouncing back from the 6-game losing streak, IU is now tasked with continuing on from a resilient win and attempting to finish the season with two wins and a bowl berth.

“Everybody uses the word ‘focus.’ But in our world, to me, it's a little bit like boxing,” Wilson said. “And if you drop your hands, you're going to get knocked out. And it's really to keep that spirit and that fighter's mentality up, it's challenging.”

The Hoosiers have defeated Purdue the past two seasons and look to win three in a row for the first time since the 1940’s. Sudfeld said Purdue is well aware IU’s postseason hopes are on the line and would love to play spoiler.

Purdue Coach Darrell Hazell said he is planning on not having starting quarterback David Blough, so Austin Appleby is the presumed starter. Appleby completed only 19-of-35 passes last season at IU and threw three interceptions.

The Boilermakers are 2-9 this season and oddsmakers have IU as 7-point favorites. But Wilson doesn’t want this team assuming anything or thinking about all that is at stake.

“Bottom line we really talk a lot about the opponent and keeping your eyes on your job instead of surroundings and distractions and all that.”