NOTEBOOK: Wilson talks about offensive line, defensive struggles

Red-shirt senior linebacker Zack Shaw (33) knocks Michigan quarterback Jake Rudock out of bounds on Saturday at Memorial Stadium. Shaw received a penalty for a late hit on the play.

Following the double-overtime 48-41 loss to Michigan on Saturday, IU Coach Kevin Wilson looked at the postgame statistics sheet, where IU posted 307 rushing yards — a Hoosier record in the IU-Michigan series — on a Michigan team that had allowed 80.6 per game this season.

That led to Wilson naming Saturday’s starters on the offensive line — seniors Dan Feeney and Jake Reed and juniors Jason Spriggs, Jacob Bailey and Dimitric Camiel — and junior running back Jordan Howard as the offensive players of the week for the team.

“We were very impressed with Michigan and how hard they played,” Wilson said. “I thought our kids played very, very hard. I thought they matched that effort, which was good to see. It still wasn’t enough.”

Bailey got the start at left guard against Michigan instead of the usual starter freshman Wes Martin, after Martin had been substituted through the previous four weeks of play.

“We started Wes Martin earlier who’s got a lot more talent but is kind of inconsistent,” Wilson said. “Jacob is maybe not as good, but you can just count on him. You’ve got him every day, and he kind of wears on you.”

Wilson on defense’s performance

When asked if he was frustrated by his defense’s repeated performances, Wilson said he was, but it is his responsibility as head coach to not only take the blame for the defensive struggles, but to also provide the team with the kind of energy it needs to play good defense.

He also said with five coaches on the offensive side and four on the defensive side, he feels his presence needs to be with the defense more than it has been because of the focus the team already puts on the offensive side of the ball.

“To me, I take it personal the way we play,” Wilson said. “Even though my background says offense, I’m the head coach. We give up a bunch of points, we give up too many plays, we have some issues, but my whole thing is there’s an energy and passion and attitude to run the ball. There’s energy and attitude and passion to play good team defense. And that’s what I’ve been trying to embrace these last three or four weeks with our guys.”

Wilson said he notices a difference between the two sides of the team, as the offense seems to have more confidence than the defense, but both sides know what they need to do better.

“I promise you this, we do not have a divided team,” he said. “I think we have one side is a little bit more confident than the other. One side is a little bit more experienced. Those offensive guys will tell you, they need to score more points. And the defensive guys say we’ve got to get more stops.”

Secondary player development

The IU secondary has seen its struggles recently, as freshman Jameel Cook is out for the rest of the season due to injury and Andre Brown missed the game against Michigan, giving freshman Tyler Green his first career start. The inexperience was evident as Michigan quarterback Jake Rudock threw for 440 yards and six touchdowns.

“We’re not winning, so I guess we’re not developing the way we need to,” Wilson said. “We need to develop more.”

Wilson said fans don’t see when a quarterback misses a read, when a receiver has a communication error or when a right guard blows an assignment, but they do see when a defensive back lets a receiver past him and surrenders a touchdown.

He said it’s a process of growing up.

“I don’t know if it’s the wall as much as the youthfulness of ‘I’m out here on the island, and here I am,’ and having the maturity to consistently answer that call is tough. It’s tough,” Wilson said. “It’s called growing up. It doesn’t mean it’s fun. It’s just being able to handle it.”