letters

LETTER: Politicians refusing to allow Syrian refugees in are protecting us

In the days following the terrorist attacks in Paris, students flocked to social media to show their solidarity and compassion for the French people as they reeled from the worst assault on the Western world since 9-11.

In recent days, however, the spotlight has shifted away from the European nation to the millions of refugees displaced by ISIS — or, if you prefer, Daesh.

Semantics aside, the Islamic State has bred an empire of terrorism and fear in the power vacuum created by the Bush administration and sustained by President Obama’s lack of intervention in the Middle East.

In the past week, handfuls of liberal voices have expressed their support of the Obama administration’s decision to relocate 10,000 Syrian refugees.

Not surprisingly, 26 governors from both parties have publicly voiced their dissent to this policy. Among their concerns were national security and safeguarding legislative process.

Immigration experts are correct in claiming state governors have no influence on immigration policy.

They are also correct these leaders are standing out in fear, although not of Syrians or even Islam.

Our policy makers are afraid the Obama 
administration will once again circumvent the appropriation procedures of the U.S. Congress.

In order for President Obama to substantiate plans to accept 10,000 Syrian refugees by the end of the fiscal year, a corresponding budget must be approved by a majority Republican legislative body.

Anyone with a basic knowledge of politics knows that will not 
happen.

Officials are also concerned about the national security issue that is undeniably presented by welcoming any amount of people into the country.

In last Thursday’s debate, Hillary Clinton claimed she would “screen” any Syrians that cross our borders; however, how do you screen 10,000 people — with no documentation — for ill intent?

According to the Arab Center for Research and Policy Studies, 13 percent of Syrian refugees have a view of ISIS that is at least “positive to some extent,” with 4 percent of those responses being explicitly positive.

It is clear that our leaders, in the face of ill-founded criticism, are fulfilling their obligation to protect this country.